• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaved 60...Too Much?

skyjacker, without knowing what tooling you have it's hard to say. Do you have any OTM insert cutters? I prefer those with a grade 5 insert, but in reality you would probably do best with just a roughing endmill. Cast has weird machining characteristics. I would conventional mill rather than climb mill when cutting unless you have that thing unbelievably clamped down.

As far as welding, obviously tig is best. Make sure you use regualar old er70 s6 (or s3) for your filler. I've used 312 stainless with good results also, it's just more expensive. If you're going to stick it, 7018 seems to work the best while still being reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I stick welded a plate to the bottom of my shaved D44 and used 7018 rod, and so far it's held up well. It's in the front, and has taken a real beating.

It's held up better than some other things that I've welded....... :)

Bringing this back to the top.
Anyone have any pics of a turned down ring gear?
How much are you taking off?

Okie Terry said:
Bringing this back to the top.
Anyone have any pics of a turned down ring gear?
How much are you taking off?

PM Oneton and report back. He's done it and had it done.

Sealing it should not be a problem. Dried spit will hold back 140 weight.
STOP if that what you want.

Back