• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Service Members offroadin overseas

GermanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My family and I are Stationed at Spangdahlem AFB in Germany.
It can be hard to find places to wheel overhere so I just started Spangdahlem Offroad to try and get four wheelers over here some place to share wheelin info. So if you are stationed overseas or just want to drop in and add your two cents come check us out. We could use as many people as we can get, the Forum is brand new, and so only has a few posts so everyone come on over and pitch in.:cheers:

Hell Yea. Man I cant wait. The XJ is in real bad shape right now so I may be bringing the TJ. For the XJ I need to finish the motor swap, a new rear drive shaft, windsheild, rear glass, and I bent the frot axle jumpping it:gee: We will see what else is wrong once I get it started.:)

I was stationed at Spang for 7 years. When I was there one of the places we went wheeling was at the Army’s heavy vehicle training facility (I think that’s what it was called) just past Dreis on the low road to Wittlich. From the road you could see old burnt out tanks on the hillside. That was 12-13 years ago and it may be closed off now. A lot of deep ruts from tanks and other heavy equipment.

Back then nobody minded if we went back there, in fact, on one run we got a Dodge Ram stuck and our other vehicle (a little Samurai) couldn’t pull it out. We ended up hiking to the Army Post to ask for assistance. They came out with a 6 pax 4x4 and couldn’t pull it out. They went back and came out with this big HEMTT 8x8 wrecker with winches front, back, on the sides and a crane on top. They said it was what they used to pull their tanks out of the muck. It looked like it could pull over the Empire State building without revving the engine. Anyway, it made short work of the Ram, but as it was leaving it sank in what we thought was solid ground. After doing two separate ~50ft pulls it was able to extract itself. Good times.

I see, looking at GoogleEarth, there is an Autobahn going by the area now. It looks like you may still be able to get to it from a road just past the Autobahn, if the area isn’t closed off.

Have a schnitzel and bier for me next time you’re in town.

Thats the info I was looking for. A few of us are going to check it out next weekend to see if we can find the place. Thanks for the info, and I will have that beer tonight:thumbup:

Cool. Let me know how it goes and post pics in the Picture section.

Back