• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

serpentine belts

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
The 2001 xj needs a new serpentine belt 4.0 with AC any brands to stay away from.

I think most belts are manufactured by a couple of companies and then rebranded... so stick with a name brand you trust and you are likely good to go. I've never had a NAPA belt fail me.

Stay away from Dayco - they tend to delaminate. Likewise, OEM belts (they're made by Dayco. Because they're cheap.)

I have consistently good luck with Goodyear or Gates - with a preference for Gates. But, Goodyear is usually easier to find.

(Oh - and Northern Automotive [Checker/Schuck's/Kragen] belts are also Dayco, just so you know...)

Dayco is a rebranded gates belt from what I've been told from not just napa but checker.

Odds are I'll get the goodyear gator it's like 40 bucks well under the 100 bucks that the dealer wanted.

jdogg4 said:
Dayco is a rebranded gates belt from what I've been told from not just napa but checker.

Odds are I'll get the goodyear gator it's like 40 bucks well under the 100 bucks that the dealer wanted.

Hm. If true - they're very much Gates "seconds" - I've never had a Gates delaminate with anything less than 50Kmiles on it (and exposure to all sorts of crud, or just plain grit abrasion...) while I've seen Daycos fail inside of a week with disturbing frequency.

X3 on Goodyear. My water pump bearing broke and wobbled enough to throw the belt half off. The fan shredded anything that stuck out and I was in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. I was able to drive to an auto parts store no problem with only half the thing remaining.

It was $120 from lithia in Ft.Collins is what they guy had wrote down. He said my brakes needed changing and they do, but I already bought new pads and roters for up front and pads for the back the drums look to be fine still and they wanted over 200 for that even thought I only spent 64 for all those the other day. Then he wanted to do the diffs the tcase and tranny for another 300. that didn't even cut into the radiator flushthey wanted to do. I told the guy I had everything at home except the belt to do for next weekend.

I found the goodyear gator for 31 bucks goint to get it after work so I can do all the work this weekend.

xj-grin said:
I think most belts are manufactured by a couple of companies and then rebranded... so stick with a name brand you trust and you are likely good to go. I've never had a NAPA belt fail me.
ditto, I like NAPA.

What to hear a twist on this one guys?
The company I work for and one of the first shop projects I had my hands on was the control systems for gates company to make those belts. Looking on our website to see if we have pics of it. The thing was big and we shipped a few to the US plants Atlanta, then china, Germany, and Poland I think. 4 or 5 total we built for them.

Could be if you find some cell phone parts melted into the belt that is mine and I’d like it back.
The part of the system we did was the pipe valve controls and instrumentation to control all of that stuff. Takes the water heats it up and then the hot water pressure is what’s injected in and out of the molds to make the belts.

Back