• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt Adjustment Woes

Tighten till you can twist the belt 90 deg . No more, no less. Done.
:patriot:

It is listed in the manuals, under like tune ups or belts tensions. Usually found in the front of the book. Caution, if you over tighten that belt, it will cause failure to your power steering pump.

mcnamaag said:
Tighten till you can twist the belt 90 deg . No more, no less. Done.
:patriot:

Well, that's pretty much guessing too. :)

Alright, a bit of an update:

My dad made his way over, we looked around and poked around and could not find that adjustment bolt. We were able to loosen the two bolts in the back, the one in the front, and just kept the frozen bolt as it was, and use a screwdriver to pry the PS pump to hold tension. No krikit, but it seems to pass the 90-degree twist-test. One thing I do notice is that before the belt change, the battery voltage gauge would read ~14.5V, now its reading 14.0V pretty consistently. Something I should be concerned about? I drove around for about 10 mins, and the belt felt tight enough when I checked it again.

Well, even if the belt isn't as tight as it was before...

I can't see how the voltage would drop? I mean the belt isn't slipping, so it's not possible that how tight the belt is could affect anything.

That's what I think anyway.

Alright, maybe I am just being paranoid. Is 14.5V what I should be reading while the battery is charging, and when it is charged I should be reading a lower voltage on the gauge? Maybe that has something to do with it.

I hear ya. It "should" be there, but from what I can tell, I haven't had the bolt since I got the Jeep in 2002. I've put ~40K on it and I didn't have any issues until this all happened.

Back