• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sentry question

markatimber

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 computer, with matching skim but only one key, salvaged from donor Jeep. Two questions this is a CAL. revision 56041493 can this be installed in federal spec Jeeps or not, 99 only? Since I only have 1 key would the dealer need the Jeep there or can they make another key if I come up with a title to get the skim code? Or is there another way around just the single key dilemma? Item may be available for purchase since I don't have a 99

Sentry Key anti-theft, SKIM, can be installed into any 97-01 XJ. The SKIM system is comprised of an ECM/PCM with the SKIM programming enabled, a key reading device, and a key with chip married to the SKIM enabled ECM/PCM. AFIK, Cali vs Federal Emissions is only minor programming differences so the two should interchange. A 98 will probably accept a 99 PCM/ECM with no changes. A DRB-III Scan Tool is required to make additional keys. The Dealership often requires documentation to make additional SKIM/SKIS keys.

I would guess that the cost of a new key and programming would exceed the value of the whole package. YMMV.

Thanks Tim appreciate your time, I do have a drb3 does this mean I can make additional keys myself without the skim code? If I understand this right I can enter the skim vin into any 97-01 computer and it will function [thus marrying it] so if I wanted to add this to my 01 I just enter the vin from the skim and it will work?

I don't have any direct DRB-III experience, but with the DRB-III Tool you should be able to change any of the read/write data in the ECM/PCM or the chipped keys.

Last edited:
Back