• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

selling jeep/ford lightning

nova98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pretty sure that I will be selling my cherokee within the next few weeks. I never thought the day would come but it's just getting to be too much maintinence wise. Being a full time student, full time intern, and having another part time job I just can't keep up with it. So a few questions for you guys.

What do youall think of ford lightnings? Any experience with them. I have wanted one since I was a little kid, and I figure this would be a good time to take a look at them. I think it would be a fun truck to drive, while not tempting to take offroad and break things. And its rated at towing 5000 lbs so i could eventually get a trail rig to haul around:farmer: .

Also, how much should I ask for my cherokee. Its a 98 classic with 114,000 on the ticker and it just passed saftey inspection. I've got a 3" rustys lift, 31" tires (good tread left), roof rack, jcr bumper, exhaust, hellas, full sound system, mounted cb/firestik. Also have an ARB air locker/air compressor but not installed. It's in great condition. I would like to sell it as a private sale because I know carmax/dealerships would not account for anything installed on it.

Well thanks for any of your input!

First, you're worried about maintenance and you're looking at a Ford? :looser:

Second, 5000lbs is kinda pathetic. That's the recommended limit on our XJs. I know it's a Lightning so it's lower than the regular F150, but if you going to have anything short of a lightweight comp buggy weighing 2000-2500lbs, you're outa luck. You have to figure in the weight of the trailer, supplies, and the rig. I'd think you push that 5000lbs quick.

As for the cost of your Jeep, I'd think you'd be lucky to see $5500 in my area. As a matter of fact I just passed a dealership on my way to work that had a 99 XJ Classic with 78K for $5750, just to give you an idea.

Last edited:
i know its a ford...dont have to tell me any stories. I have searched all over and the only complaints (mechanically) i have found is that you have to keep an eye on the intercooler level b/c it tends to leak sometimes. I posted to see if anyone here had personal experience with them.

and forthe insurance thing....already checked and they only put it down as a standard f150.

I've towed with a 2000 Lightning from IL to Canada to KY to IL and it was fine, it tracked well towing my 98 Formula on a open trailer.

Really you want the L because you want it, not because it's more reliable, nothing wrong with that.

Like any heavy truck with a blower/engine setup, you have to watch out for slipping transmissions. Once in a while folks have blown out spark plugs in the cylinder heads, not sure why, but it can get expensive to fix.

I would not buy one with high miles because you are back where you started, you will have to fix everything. Worst truck I ever bought was a 99 Tahoe with 89K on it, I went through everything.

What maintenance :scratchhead:, oil, filters, wiper blades, tires, the normal stuff. Other than that what maintenance. Off road breakage does not count.
As for Ford, I am always torn between whether ford taking over jaguar and putting their electrics in over Lucas was an improvement or not..

dont those lightnings come lowered from the factory? why would you want to tow with a lowered vehicle?

thanks for the feedback. i remember hearing somewhere that the spark plugs are a pain on the those trucks b/c the threads are not long enough for easy removal. I found one with around 50xxx miles on it.

By maintenance, I meant offroad repair and keepup. Because if I have my jeep, I'm going to go offroad, and if I go offroad things will break. I have had the luck in the past to hit that magical 100xxx mark and thigns just start breaking. And 14000 miles after that mark, I still havent had a major problem (other than alternator which was due to offroading). so either the jeep is truly invincible or i am bound for a large repair soon.

GrimmJeeper said:
dont those lightnings come lowered from the factory? why would you want to tow with a lowered vehicle?
Oh I dunno. These stupid A-holes...Powerplay Performance.
http://www.powerplayperformance.com/home.htm

Pull this
stupidford.jpg

With this...which is now lowered
stupidchevy.jpg

Lightning towed my 19 foot trailer with the car on it just fine.

I'd make sure the truck does not use any coolant, engine repairs would be most costly. Most truck transmissions as you all know can run $1200 - 2500 to get redone.

They have a 3/4 ton frame under them but rate then as a 1/2 ton truck.

Stumpalump said:
They have a 3/4 ton frame under them but rate then as a 1/2 ton truck.

That depends on how you look at the way Ford screws with their numbers, the Lightning is a factory modified F150, which is a 1/2 ton.
For the tenth generation trucks (start 1997, '99 for Lightnings) , the regular F-250 (light duty) was basically an F-150 with the same body panels but with heavier duty axles and suspension. The F-250 HD (Heavy Duty) was considered in the same series as the F-350. I'm not sure about the ninth generation (the first Lightnings).

At any rate... it's a FORD. :gee:

Last edited:
scottmcneal said:
C heap
H eep
E nding
V ery
Y oung
I still think it's funny

Isn't this thread about Fords? However, now that you brought it up a GMC/Chevy Truck is MUCH more truck than any Ford, Toyota, or Nissan will ever even try to be.

If I WERE to EVER get a ford...It would be a newer style f150.....

I'd venture to guess that a Lightning would probably get a lot worse milage than your XJ as well. Especially for the first 6 months while you are doin burnouts for all your buddies :eek: I'd keep the XJ...

nova98xj said:
thanks for the feedback. i remember hearing somewhere that the spark plugs are a pain on the those trucks b/c the threads are not long enough for easy removal. I found one with around 50xxx miles on it.

By maintenance, I meant offroad repair and keepup. Because if I have my jeep, I'm going to go offroad, and if I go offroad things will break. I have had the luck in the past to hit that magical 100xxx mark and thigns just start breaking. And 14000 miles after that mark, I still havent had a major problem (other than alternator which was due to offroading). so either the jeep is truly invincible or i am bound for a large repair soon.

so lay off the wheeling for a few months - 6 months and your internship is over. You will never recover the money you spent on your xj thus far, and i always prefer a known quantity (as in you know your vehicle isnt held togeher with luck and a prayer) and gonna crap on ya in 6 months in all likely hood it is fine. Thats why i would always buy a $500-$2,000 vehicle off a friend or family memember as opposed to classifieds. I realize your looking to spend more than that but i mean in the sense a known quantity to me $500 street value is actually worth much more to me cause i know my buddy has taken care of it for years ya see.

I dont expect you to gain much economy or savings on this sale / trade. I would say in short order if you cant "not wheel", in short order you will have a lightning AND a new jeep to start building again. NO SAVINGS IF YOU DO THAT. plus then the lighting isnt the greatest tow vehicle when you inevitable come back to jeeps.

Just buying a regular f150 or f250 would make sense that in the future you have a tow vehicle and second ride to get to work after a long weekend of wheeling and you break your jeep, you tow the heep home with the f250 and drive f250 to work on monday.

I dont see you saving much money with this idea.

Lightning is an intersting truck, not great for a dedicated wheeler who cant stop himself from wheeling with tight money situation.

Keep the jeep, just stop wheeling for a few months, ride with your buddies till you have better cashflow.

well guys thanks for all your advice, I am still not sure what exactly i want to do, but i have all summer to decide. I had been debating the idea of holding onto the jeep for awhile, not offraod, and just let things settle down (its gunna be hard to do that and stay a member of VA tech offroad club). That would probably be the best/most effective thing to do...but hey i only have one year left of being a teenager so i gotta get all those stupid decisions outta my system quick :)
I knew it wasnt the best idea to ask for opinions from jeeps guys on a lowered ford truck, but i did get some good advice!
Any-who, Im atleast gooing to go test drive the truck this weekend and see what its like.

are you looking at a gen 1 or gen 2 lightning the gen 1 with the 351 is quite a capable hauler, lots of power and good suspension, ive towed several cars including a marauder and a grand marquis with one and havent had any problems.

Back