• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seafoam.

take the sensors out of the exhaust pipe and you might be better off, but I'm not sure if it will run that well. seafoam has been known to foul both plugs and O2 sensors, so beware of those. I put that stuff into my intake manifold a few times and it works fine, gets all that carbon buildup and gunk out of it if there's any in there.

That said, I've also tried BG 44k in the tank and I like it even better but it's about 4x the cost
what IS BG 44K?
Why not just steam clean the inside of the motor. Water doesn't foul anything out, and it cheap. Just make sure you use distilled and I like to use a misting bottle
Is it just me or is this crazy talk? How the hell do you access the "inside of the motor" And does he realize that water rusts? Maybe he was fooling around or something?
Could make you own by buying the Naphtha and alcohol at the hardware store and mixing it with some ATF
Use Diesel #2 or kerosene. They by them selves will do some major cleaning.
Just my 2c

I did search for it but the are no results.

1985xjlaredo said:
what IS BG 44K?

Is it just me or is this crazy talk? How the hell do you access the "inside of the motor" And does he realize that water rusts? Maybe he was fooling around or something?

Use Diesel #2 or kerosene. They by them selves will do some major cleaning.
Just my 2c

NO, one of the methods of removing carbon is using water, either a mister which you use to gently spray the water into the intake or by dribbling into the intake. It was common practice back up until the 80's or so when 'chemical cleaning' became the norm.
The running engine turns the water to steam which soakes into the carbon like a sponge, expands and literally shatters the carbon. It was something to be cautious with, I warped a head on a 6 cylinder mustang doing this from putting too much in from the cup I was dribbling with. Pre cat days the carbon would come out in big pieces especially if you had headers and a straight thru cherry bomb type exhaust. Alot of people who did not understand high octane would run sunoco 260 or Amaco high test in lower performance motors, result was alot of unburned fuel carboning up. Happens now when people run preimum in normal engines... On the other hand my other mustang was a GT500 with a built 427 running 12.5:1 and that flat out needed a minimum of Sunoco 240 but was happier with 260. My dad borrowed it one day and filled it with sunoco 190, it ran for about 2 minutes and died, would not even start after that.

Nice dad. So im taking ti that the water method would not work as well with the catalic conveter motors of to day? Seems chunks of carbon in there is not what i Need!:dunno:

I have used the water method before and it worked great BUT you realy need t be carefull not to over do it. Just use a spray bottle and with the engine running around 1500-1800 RPM spray a SMALL amount of water into the intake. being carefull not to stall the engine. If it does stall quickly restart it. After a couple of good shots take it for a drive and push it a little bit hard you really can feel the difference.

seafoam will also fix 2-cycle engines when they get stuck on half-choke... very useful if you use your outboard motor/weedwacker liek once a year and always leave the same old fuel in it. really works:spin1:

I have used seafoam, Gm top engine cleaner, ATF, and carburetor cleaner down the intake with good results. The carburetor cleaner is good for all of the oil residue in the intake.

The ATF works just about the same as seafoam alone. The water works great for carbon and will steam clean the pistons to a like new finish, just as if you had a head gasket leak and the coolant was cleaning them.

Back