• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Screw rugged ridge!!

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Arrggg. So angry, Needed a tie rod end for my rugged ridge steering setup, not really safe to drive at this point. Talked with Jesse at rjr offroad (nice guy). Got em ordered up and they were to drop ship them to B.c. Canada from the RUGGED RIDGE warehouse. Just got an email from jesse saying rugged ridge no longer ships into Canada. WTF? The only solution it to get em shipped from the R.R warehouse to rjr offroad then to me at a whopping $137 u.s. . My fricken order isnt that much. :soapbox: Shoulda stayed with stock or upgraded stock stuff

That's what you get for living in Canada. :D

You can't get RJR to eat the cost or at least split it? Do they use a proprietary TRE? If not, I'd source it through someone else and then make sure Rugged Ridge knows that they have lost a customer and you will be doing your darnedest to sway everyone within earshot (keyboard shot?) about your bad treatment.

rugged ridge is junk anyways. ditch it and get a real steering set up (JCR)

or get the part number for the end and cross reference it at you local parts store

Don't Rugged Ridge use 1 ton TRE ? Hell i would ask them for a part number...I would think been out of the great USA it wouldn't hurt them..

rugged ridge is junk anyways. ditch it and get a real steering set up (JCR)

or get the part number for the end and cross reference it at you local parts store
X2 on RR junk,the one I ordered for a friend just got replaced with a Currie set-up(wow what a difference!).The only TRE that is truly "custom" to the RR set-up is the pass side(tie-rod).

Man if anyone can help me get the number for the drivers end to get me at least mobile for now , I be forever greatfull. I taking this crap off at my earliest opportunity.:helpme:

is it just a TRE? ship it to someone stateside and have them ship it to you in a flat rate box :dunno:

its gotta be cheaper than $137 though... right? i guess i have no idea what international shipping rates are, but that sounds like quite a bit of money for 1 TRE :dunno:

I sell on eBay and shipped to twentyfive countries last year. Here's the cost to send two pounds to Canada from the U.S. Post Office web site;

Priority Mail® International 6 - 10 Days $20.75
Priority Mail® International Large Flat-Rate Box: 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" Maximum weight 20 pounds. 6 - 10 Days $32.95
Priority Mail® International Medium Flat-Rate Boxes: 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8" or 11" x 8.5" x 5.5" Maximum weight 20 pounds. 6 - 10 Days $25.95
Priority Mail® International Small Flat-Rate Box; 5 3/8" x 8 1/2" X 1 3/4" Maximum weight 4 pounds. 6 - 10 Days $10.95
First-Class Mail® International Package* Max. length 24", max length, height and depth (thickness) combined 36"$8.93

http://ircalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10054&M=2&P=2&O=0&sd=0

A: that shipping is rediculous

B: I have a rugged ridge steering package. sitting in my garage. 8k miles and the TRE's are all bad!

The problem is everyone uses ups, and ups sucks. I just ordered two ruffstuff diff covers and Its only 40 bucks shipping to my door. Its only one tie rod worn, more from me screwin withit to get rid of the "rod roll" . I fixed that with the cutting board method on the passenger tie rod end .

Man if anyone can help me get the number for the drivers end to get me at least mobile for now , I be forever greatfull. I taking this crap off at my earliest opportunity.:helpme:

I run their stuff, too, but I didn't do the whole inverted-T (18050.82), just the heavy-duty tierod (18050.51.)

And I also need ends on mine. I wanted easy-to-get parts-store stuff, with a warranty. So the other night I researched it til my eyes bled, and here's what I found...

According to this link the driver's end is Jeep p/n 52005739, which crosses to Moog p/n ES3096L.

Jeep used it at the pitman end of the draglink on every XJ/ZJ/TJ, and at the driver's knuckle end of the tie rod on the V8ZJ's... That makes that end pretty easy to get!

The other end of my tie rod (the same as the lower end of your drag link) is gonna be tough. It's the same end, but with right hand threads.

(Per Moog-suspension-parts.com, ES3096L has M22-1.5L threads, 5.37" long. The joint fits a 0.558-.626" taper, and a 1/2" mounting stud.)

Moog shows a half-dozen rod ends with the 22-1.5R threads, but they're all for a larger taper: 0.594-.703", and a metric M14 stud.

I don't know whether that 0.036-.077" difference would keep it from working, but I'm thinking about trying it...

Or maybe, since I know my new end is factory ZJ, maybe I'll replace the whole thing with ZJ.

(I haven't even thought about the pass end of your tie rod. I suppose it'll need the M22-1.5R threads, the 558-626 taper end and matching tapered hole for the drag link end, but I don't know how you'd search for the goofy dog-leg that lets your steering roll so nice :D)

Robert

FYI there are two or three generations of RR steering at play with slightly different TREs. I actually need to get a set for my old system so I can then sell it as I've upgraded to a Currie system.

Back