• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCREAMING bloody murder when first starts up... serpentine belt?

tstaples

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I just want to make sure that it's the serpentine belt that is causing this issue before i go and change it.

When i start my truck in the morning it starts screaming bloody murder... like seriously it's the loudest screech i've ever heard come from a car.

it gets louder if i step on the gas and i just have to let it run it's course.

lasts about 30 seconds to a minute and then stops and never does it again the whole time the truck is running.

is this the serpentine belt or something deeper?

It could be the idler pulley. I don't know how many miles are on your XJ, or if it's the same setup as my '97 but I have 137K on mine and I'm getting the same squeal. If I spray a little PB Blaster on the mounting bolt area it goes away. I picked up new pulley yesterday and soon as it stops raining it's going on. I'd definately check the belt tension first, but it's something to keep in mind.

Ron

Could be the idler pulley, but it is likely like mine. I just had to tighten the belt more. I did replace the ider pulley for good measure since the bearing wasa worn on the original one. It was worth the $12.99.

my xj is a 99... about 85k miles..
i'll have to look up where the idler pully is. not sure what that is.

so these xj's dont have auto tension? where do i adjust the tension.

i guess i'll have to break down and buy a book

There's no auto tensioner. I'm sure sure hw it is on the newer XJ's, but my old one uses the power steering pump bracket to tension the belt.
Go buy a book, and while you're at it get a betl tensioner gauge.

tstaples said:
i guess i'll have to break down and buy a book

I bought the Chilton's and Haynes manuals used on amazon.com. Very cheap ... maybe $5.00 each. It's good to have the information you need when you need to do something. I'm still looking for an FSM.

Good luck.

yea.. i found a haynes for 7.13 but after shipping it ends up being 12 bucks.. so i think i'll just hit the local parts store and buy a new one for 15. My buddy has the service manual on CD thing for his 99 XJ so i'll get that from him and be all set.

thanks for your opinions... i never like to take on a job until i KNOW what i'm taking on

Mine is a 98 and you have to loosen the idler pulley bolt a little, then there is another bolt you turn to adjust the idler position. It is pretty easy to adjust.

The idler pulley is the one directly below the power steering pulley. The adjustment bolt is just to the left of the power steering pump. If you glance behind the power steering pump/idler pulley bracket you can see the long bolt. It is threaded through the idler pulley mount, so turning the bolt moves the idler pulley to tighten or loosen the belt.

I'm bumping this old thread since I also have the screaming in my 1999 4.0. I had the serpentine belt replaced a few months ago and it would have been loosened and tightened when I had the fan clutch replaced recently.

Now it's squeeling occasionally on startup, so I assume I just need to tighten it. I could just go to Sears who I had replace the clutch but I don't really want to spend half a day waiting.

Does anyone know what wrench size you need? How much length?

Loosen the 15mm on the idler pulley(by the p/s pulley)first, then tighten the 15mm diagonal bolt on by the right side of the t-stat housing, then retighten idler pulley bolt.

Torque is around 17 ft*lbs I believe for the idler pulley bolt. It wouldn't hurt to pull the belt off and check it. Also spin each of the pulleys to make sure it's free.

Belt should be at 180-200lbs, the "twist test" that most mechanics do puts you in at 60-90lbs. Buy a gauge...a pocket sized cheap one is available.

Thanks.

One of my pulley wheels has a gouge in it... looks like a tool slipped. I hope it's not wearing out the belt. I have no idea when it happened.
Is it the P/S pump, a gouge going diagonally across the entire belt path at about 20 degrees from perpendicular? If so ignore it. I have seen that on every single XJ P/S pump ever... I have no idea what it's from.

Used and new belt tension spec is different - both are well over 100 pounds though. I think Joe has the specs and (hopefully) will see this thread.

The pulley with the gouge is the water pump.

I felt the belt and it feels really tight. I can't get much deflection at all. Could it be something else squeeling? I know it's not the power steering pump sound. What about the water pump? Could it be jamming?

You don't need to exert 100lb with the tool, it measures the deflection when you exert a smaller force on it and scales the reading appropriately.

Water pump could be screwed up, try pulling the belt off and spinning the pump by hand. If you feel any roughness or grinding/vibration/friction, it might need replacing.

Back