• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scott Kalitta - Killed in drag racing accident

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited:
This is terrible news. I talked to some of my buddys who work for Rhonda Hartman today, and they said quite a few teams are pulling out.

TheWarWagon said:
This is terrible news. I talked to some of my buddys who work for Rhonda Hartman today, and they said quite a few teams are pulling out.

Pulling out of what?

YELLAHEEP said:
Pulling out of what?

Tomorrows eliminations and possibly the series. Force has been pushing the NHRA for more strict safety regulations since I was working on the tour a few years ago. Some said that Medlen's death last year was a freak thing, now we see it's not. True, Eric's death was due to tire failure, whereas Scott's looks to be from an engine detonation. The Kalitta family is extremely shaken at this point. I can equate it when Blain Anderson died years ago, this has definitely struck a nerve with the entire drag racing community.

TheWarWagon said:
Tomorrows eliminations and possibly the series. Force has been pushing the NHRA for more strict safety regulations since I was working on the tour a few years ago. Some said that Medlen's death last year was a freak thing, now we see it's not. True, Eric's death was due to tire failure, whereas Scott's looks to be from an engine detonation. The Kalitta family is extremely shaken at this point. I can equate it when Blain Anderson died years ago, this has definitely struck a nerve with the entire drag racing community.

Ah, gotcha.

Well, I'm not BIG into the NHRA series but have watched lots of televised drag racing and one thing I've definitely noticed is the inconsistency in track design - particularly the safety measures built into the very end of the tracks. If a track is going to host 300+ mph racing, sure seems that there needs to be lenghty sand trap at the end with net traps beyond that. Bandimere out here in Colorado has this kind of safety zone.

From the Kalitta video, it sure seems that the end of the track after the finish line was awfully short, paved and just a huge concrete barrier at the end.

I guess one thing can certainly be said.... These guys/gals that race these 300+ mph cars definitely know the risks. Obviously they're willing to gamble.

Edit:

Hmmmm. Here's an aerial image of the Old Bridge township track. Sure seems like there's at least 1/2 mile of track there...... just a small sand trap at the end. The length of the track after the finish line is pretty deceiving in the video.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensi...13,-74.352272&spn=0.012516,0.020752&t=k&hl=en

For contrast, here's the Bandimere Speedway track. If you zoom in, you can see the sand trap and two net traps at the end before you get to the large dirt berm.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Pensi...13,-74.352272&spn=0.012516,0.020752&t=k&hl=en

Last edited:
um....what tracks? I seen an airport. now THATS where they should race...

JNickel101 said:
um....what tracks? I seen an airport. now THATS where they should race...

Ha ha. Funny. :rolleyes:

But if you're serious....... did ya zoom in the views? Clearly drag race tracks. The Old Bridge Township track has several other race courses all around the drag strip and tons of parking lot.

Those look like the same track twice. Anyway he's lucky he died doing what he loved.....he could have died waiting in line at the DMV....or even worse just after leaving the DMV.

YELLAHEEP said:
Ha ha. Funny. :rolleyes:

But if you're serious....... did ya zoom in the views? Clearly drag race tracks. The Old Bridge Township track has several other race courses all around the drag strip and tons of parking lot.

If you click the little labels thing on the Old Bridge one, it labels the track as "Old Bridge Airport" :D

Thanks for the 2nd link, just making sure I wasnt missing something! :cheers:

Back