• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scored Bearing Insert

BotakBeng

NAXJA Forum User
In the middle of replacing my RMS and these are my little problems....
BearingInserts2.jpg

BearingInserts1.jpg

It does look pretty bad.
What should i do? (Crankshaft looks fine....in my limited experience)

PO must screwed this up big time.....how do i remove the RTV?
RearMainSeal1.jpg

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited:
How about this?
BearingInserts3.jpg

A little update on my rig,
1999 Cherokee with 147k mile
Low compression through out all cylinders,
..... Dry ...Wet
#1.. 72...90
#2.. 78...90
#3.. 75...89
#4.. 81...92
#5.. 81...90
#6.. 90...86

Last edited:
Maybe you should check the compression with another tester. Put it back together and run it unless you feel like putting main bearings in it while it's torn apart.

I did with 3 different testers from 3 different stores :banghead:.

Should i replace the bearing inserts or would it be just fine? Didn't see any groove on the crankshaft tho.

At this point with the low compression and the fact that the rings are probably shot, I'd put it back together.

FWIW, did you hold the throttle wide open for 5 revolutions when checking compression?

At this point with the low compression and the fact that the rings are probably shot, I'd put it back together.
I think i'm just gonna do that.

FWIW, did you hold the throttle wide open for 5 revolutions when checking compression?
Yeah i did.

I am just gonna put everything back together and drive it till i need a rebuilt engine.
Pls stop me if you/anyone think otherwise.

Thank you.

unless you feel like putting new bearing inserts in it, I'd just slap er back together and run it. Assuming those compression numbers are accurate it's going to need a new motor or a rebuild eventually anyways. Bearing set will be like 40-80 (depending on whose you get and what bore it is) so it's really a decision only you can make. How was the oil pressure before you pulled it apart? Is it bored over/undersize or standard? Any funny knocking noises?

Make sure you put the bearing cap(s) on the same places they came off of and torque with a torque wrench, whether you replace the bearings or not.

It looks to me like some dirt just managed to get in, or the PO managed to get grime on the crankshaft/bearing cap when he did the RMS. If the others all look fine I'd probably just run it, if they look the same I'd likely replace.

unless you feel like putting new bearing inserts in it, I'd just slap er back together and run it. Assuming those compression numbers are accurate it's going to need a new motor or a rebuild eventually anyways. Bearing set will be like 40-80 (depending on whose you get and what bore it is) so it's really a decision only you can make. How was the oil pressure before you pulled it apart? Is it bored over/undersize or standard? Any funny knocking noises?

Make sure you put the bearing cap(s) on the same places they came off of and torque with a torque wrench, whether you replace the bearings or not.

It looks to me like some dirt just managed to get in, or the PO managed to get grime on the crankshaft/bearing cap when he did the RMS. If the others all look fine I'd probably just run it, if they look the same I'd likely replace.

Oil pressure 15psi @idle and 35psi @1600rpm but the needle sometime move up and down while idling.
Looking at the underside of the insert shows .001....i'm guessing standard.
No funny knocking noise as far as i know but then again i have only clocked in 500 miles at most (just bought it 2 months back).

I'll report back after i look at the rest.

Thx.

I'd probably just run it... make sure you keep which bearing cap and bearing shell came from which main straight.

Those compression readings are low, but all are uniform.

What about doiing a re-ring and bearing job with the engine
in the vehicle? You're already halfway there, with the bottom
end opened up. Not much more work to pull the head and take
a look....

Can you shine a light up into a cylinder bore and see if any
crosshatch is left on the bore wall...?

If the bearing underside shows .001, that means it's an undersized
bearing that's been installed without any crank machining, (other
than possible polishing). I'd say it's been rebuilt once before.

Last edited:
Back