• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Save the kittens, and keep my wife from killing!!!

Caged94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here is the deal... Just got a "New" 111k motor to put in my 97 XJ. After getting it I replaced the following:

Rear main gasket
Timing cover gasket
Valve cover gasket
Oil pan gasket
Oil filter adapter seals
Welded the exhaust manifold cracks

Fired it up and it was perfect not a sound. Drive it less than a mile picked up my trailer, no noise. Drove less than a mile with trailer, still nothing. Drove less than a mile with trailer, again nothing. Unhitched trailer started Jeep and it has a knocking noise. Can only make it do it on first start up then quiet, and between 1,000 RPM and 2,000 RPM. Motor runs perfect no shakes, no pulsing, just smooth. So what the heck could this be?

I pulled the flywheel cover and there is no signs of rubbing and all the bolts are tight, and fluid levels are perfect. Help me before I have to go on a kitten kicking rampage, and my wife hunts down and kills the prior engine owner.

I trust Frank Z 150%, so I know this motor is good. But I need to find this noise and fast.

Post a video of the sound. Or take it to a shop for a diagnostic.
Good news is the sound isn't steady. Have you dropped the oil pan to check for metal shavings. Or removed the pan to see the rod bearings?

Btw ur emotional, calm down and figure it out. Lol

When I had the oil pan off I checked everything. It was all solid and this motor was as clean as they come.

Can you start a 4.0 without the torque converter bolted up without damaging it?

Probably not a good idea.... You can push the TC back some but if any part of it contacts the spinning flex plate..... Could be disastrous.

Well the problem is solved... Cracked flex plate!!! Frank Z thank you so much for all your help on troubleshooting this one.

Kittens ok?

Flywheel, flex plate, potato, potaato... :eyes:

Yup...... I have a few.

The kittens are safe for now.

Ok, final replaced the flexplate and the knock is gone, but now it is acting like it wants to die off and on at idle. And when you drive it is surges and the RPMs jump when it does. So what the hell is this now?

Back