• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up - Input and Design Thread

Once business picks back up for me, I am down to rent an excavator for a weekend or 2 or whatever and lend a hand. I will cover all costs of rental and diesel if someone has a flatbed and a rig to haul. Im not able to get out as much as I'd like due to business, and this is the perfect excuse for that.

I just wanted to post up a status report for the trail, no big deal.

I ran it via quad yesterday. First off I got to say. Props to AwesomeXJ, NW-99-XJ, Mopar440, Kenny881, ODF and ALL the others that had a hand in on this. The trail is going to be epic! it will rival ALL the rest in the forest for popularity! IMO we wont have any problems with water runoff until next year. there are some sections that make me scratch my head on how and where it will be opened up for jeeps. I think that will be a fun bridge for us to cross once we get to it.

We do however have two substantially large trees down over the trail near the bottom entrances/exits (there are 2 now) I could not bypass them in a legit manor on the quad and was forced to turn it around. it will take a BIG saw to cut these things up and get them off of the trail. My fear looking at all the loose sediment still on the trail, is that with the trees down over the trail, we wont get the tire traffic we were looking for to help the process along. I'm willing to help, but I don't have much more than a couple able hands to help with.

Once again, this trail is going to be one of the best in the forest. I cant wait to get my jeep on it.

Bronze.
Thanks for the scouting trip and report John,
From the beginning we had planned for this to be a new "Destination spot" in the TSF... I'm glad some of that is coming to fruition.
Do you think with some creative rigging that the large downed trees could be moved by winch? ...these ARE blow-down... right? ...and not placed there on purpose to limit/restrict/block access to the trail or anything like that are they?

Do you think with some creative rigging that the large downed trees could be moved by winch? ...these ARE blow-down... right? ...and not placed there on purpose to limit/restrict/block access to the trail or anything like that are they?

yes they are blown down. Id say with one cut, and 12k winch it is possible. but without cutting the root balls free, there not going anywhere. 2 cuts a piece with a 24" bladed Saw, were good to go! we really only need to get quads through at this point

Bronze

I'll send an email to Jahmaal and see if he knows about this, and if ODF has any plans or provisions to take care of it in the near future.... otherwise, we may have to plan a late winter work party up there to take care of this.
Thanks again John!

Last edited:
OK...
Just got word back from Jahmaal.
ODF will be taking care of the work to clear the downed trees here very soon.

.... Are you able to log this as volunteer hours?
Thats a real good question, I dont know. Thats above my pay grade, but I'll look into it.
Do we need to log a certain number of hours per year to maintain "ownership" of the trail? If so, anyone happen to know what that number is?

Its spring time, and we haven't set up a walk thru and clean up for our (new) adopted trail yet...... Since it's now April, and the "official" wheeling season is right around the corner, I'd like to see if we cant get something going in the next couple weeks.
Who's in and for when?

So I just looked at the calendar.
Maybe a couple weeks is a bit ambitious.
This weekend is a bit short notice, and I have some things going on anyways.
Next weekend is Easter Weekend, and I'm sure there's several people that have family obligations going on and whatnot.
I'm out of town the weekend of the 26/27... so that leaves us the first weekend of May.
The 5/3 - 5/4 .... Unless someone wants to take lead for a trip out on the 26th.... Lets shoot for the 3rd of May.
Thoughts?

26th is the sand flea rally FYI, i know a few are planning on going to that.

I am going up to browns this weekend. If time permits i will scope it out and report back. Either way i would like to get in on the trail prep for the season. Calenders are filling up fast as summer approaches...

:patriot: Mojo

26th is the sand flea rally FYI, i know a few are planning on going to that.

I am going up to browns this weekend. If time permits i will scope it out and report back. Either way i would like to get in on the trail prep for the season. Calenders are filling up fast as summer approaches...

:patriot: Mojo
Thanks Mojo! Yea, with the sand flea rally, and everyone's (including my own) calendar filling up, I'm hoping we can get up there on the 3rd at the latest. And a preliminary scouting report would be awesome if you end up having the time.

Has the forestry opened the trail to class II vehicles yet or is it still class I and III only?
Not sure on that, but I will ask ODF this morning and report back.

I DID talk with Jahmaal Rebb yesterday, and he mentioned that ODF is planning some work up in that area anyways here in about 3 weeks. So there's a chance if we need assistance with anything, they'll be there to lend a hand.

Re: Re: Saddle Up - Input and Design Thread

Has the forestry opened the trail to class II vehicles yet or is it still class I and III only?

It IS still only class 1&3. There are still a butt load of stumps to be pulled and a few sections to modify before it will be open to class 2

It IS still only class 1&3. There are still a butt load of stumps to be pulled and a few sections to modify before it will be open to class 2
From Jahmaal yesterday:
"It is not open to class II yet. We need to do some work up there before we can open it. No date set yet. There is approximately a weeks worth of work once we get in there."

And like Aaron said, a lot of it is stump removal....NOT easy work.

The Gresham boys are real good about moving wood around in the TSF area

It's the government that makes it "a lot of work"

Back