• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up - Input and Design Thread

So what do you guys think?

Awesome. It's pretty mellow and aside from the filters, doable in two wheel drive. However, with use this year it's going to mature, and become it's own trail.

I'm totally stoked to have it back, and it'll be great to knock out some gravel road time.
I agree with TORX on this 100%. I ran Saddle Up three times over the weekend and it is mellow right now but after some good rain it will mature into a very fun trail.
10441260_10152509355519841_1888872584082092966_n.jpg

10489760_10152509355729841_4446484962552444835_n.jpg

10451070_10152509355839841_4120070137687104615_n.jpg

10501670_10152509357694841_5120238733388413397_n.jpg

10426167_10152509357699841_7286131681166741691_n.jpg

10435413_10152509357974841_3172834003368759190_n.jpg

Good news Everyone!!!!
Saddle Up, from Firebreak 5 to the old entrance has been opened to class 2 and 4 as of last weekend.
The section from the middle to Dogleg will be open this weekend. The trail filters will also be completed. Signs will go up this Friday....

Personal opinion here. And opinions are like assholes. We all have one and most of them stink. Also a few beers in.

You guys built a good trail. But your hiding it at the end of the build thread. I just happened to stumble on this "announcement" early last week. This is something that you should be announcing to everyone in the 4x4 community! Bragging about! Getting the 4x4 community fired up! And most importantly hopefully inspiring other clubs and groups to get involved and adopt a trail or even try and open up a new trail system. At the very least your guy's hard work and the opening of this trail deserves its own thread. But what I really think is that you guys should be pimping this shit like there's no tomorrow!

Ok Im off of my soap box now.

So, the picnic area. If we were to insert picnic tables. What would/should they be made of? I keep thinking steel. dig some holes and set in place?

I think this would be a great winter project for the chapter. I know we could pool (labor/work space) and get some things put together. after running the trail. this is the next phase IMO. Day use picnic/fire area.

Thoughts?
Bronze.

No, definitely not paranoid. I foresee vandalism, theft, etc if they're made from wood... but I also could see tweakers taking steel/metal as well. Thi sis a tough one.
But i think for ease and cost of repair/replacement wood would be the best choice.
Bolted together, maybe some security hardware of some kind as well.... and some means of it being anchored to the ground real good... a deep hole dug with a concrete anchor type of thing... if we could copy the types of tables typically seen at KOH campgrounds that would prob be a good place to start design wise.

No, definitely not paranoid. I foresee vandalism, theft, etc if they're made from wood... but I also could see tweakers taking steel/metal as well. Thi sis a tough one.
But i think for ease and cost of repair/replacement wood would be the best choice.
Bolted together, maybe some security hardware of some kind as well.... and some means of it being anchored to the ground real good... a deep hole dug with a concrete anchor type of thing... if we could copy the types of tables typically seen at KOH campgrounds that would prob be a good place to start design wise.

maybe make some framing aout of metal, then use wood for the tops and seats. it would be an easy feat to roll up there to replace seat and top wood. If we use pressure treated, it would be less likely to get burned/stolen. The tables at the camp areas are wood. but there some big cuts, of solid stuff. that's going to rack up quick on cost. im trying to come up with a happy medium here, proving hard.

I do agree with the deep anchor/concrete. no matter what we do, I don't think it going to be bullet proof. we will have to maintain it through the years.

I do also think that having something like this in place, in this location of the forest. how do I say this?... umm, theres nothing like this setup anywhere in that area of TSF. IMO people would self police to a certim point just because of how nice it is/will be to have there. Its hard to find a nice calm place to do a group stop for lunch, during the dead of winter, spring, and fall.

Just thinking out loud a bit. Keep the ideas coming boys!
Bronze.

Edit: I wonder what if ODF would take a "donation" in order to move in some "Approved" tables?

I do also think that having something like this in place, in this location of the forest. how do I say this?... umm, theres nothing like this setup anywhere in that area of TSF. IMO people would self police to a certim point just because of how nice it is/will be to have there. Its hard to find a nice calm place to do a group stop for lunch, during the dead of winter, spring, and fall.

Just thinking out loud a bit. Keep the ideas coming boys!
Bronze.

That was the intent all along.
When Aaron & I first scouted the area, and determined the new centerline, we knew as soon as we saw that little glade of trees that this was going to be a destination point for the trail system up there.
(I just wish it would have held up better to the last couple winters - it used to be much more dense - now its thinned out a little.)
Having a picnic table (or two) is going to be the capstone of the New Saddle Up.
And who knows....maybe in the future, we can get something like the Horse Camp covered area up there as well.... make it a new safe haven for future Torxfests.... :scared:

Agreed. And how ODF cut the trail and gatekeepers, there is a nice place to dump an entrance into said "picnic area" just before you head into the middle gatekeeper. you could essentially bypass the hilclimb section if you wanted, hit the picnic area, then back down to the road. (this is all headed from crushers)

Back