• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sack lunches.. Makes you think i hope

scottmcneal

NAXJA Forum User
Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.

' Chicago - to Great Lakes Base. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Iraq '

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached Chicago , and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time.

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to Chicago '

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, an said, 'I want to shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed in Chicago I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life,

wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America '

for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people

in this country who no longer understand it.'

thank you! every time i hear one of these stories i cant help feeling bad for how the vietnam era vets were treated like second class citizens they were only doing there job. i try and thank anyone i see in uniform as well as vets if somehow it comes up in a conversation

:patriot:When i used to work at Taco Bell i would give the soldiers their drinks for free just my way of showing gratitude. My manager never said a word when i did it.:patriot:

I was completely confused when they said they don't give a military discount

Yeah, maybe. I figured as much since it was written so well. It's the feelin' and the spirit that matters.

As far as I'm concerned....Scott's status still stands! :sunshine:

Same goes to you, Flexy!! :)

Steve

Thank you sir.. I did not write this, wish i did.. But this is how i feel..... These young men would die if need be so we can be free :patriot:

That was awesome!

Considering one of my best friends (my best man at my wedding) has been in Iraq for the last 5 years, I would do the same thing if I could!

And yes, I know it wasn't written by the orgional poster. Still a very touching story though.

Last edited:
I did!

It might be weeks or months before he actually gets it, but it is sent nonetheless.

My biggest fear is having his mom call and tell me the bad news.

That is a great story. My brother in law was in the first Iraq war and on a plane with some other Marines heading back to San Francisco after their deployment was over. Robin Williams was on the same plane but it first class. Every time Robin was offered something in first class he would run back and offer it to the soldiers first.

That is a great story. My brother in law was in the first Iraq war and on a plane with some other Marines heading back to San Francisco after their deployment was over. Robin Williams was on the same plane but it first class. Every time Robin was offered something in first class he would run back and offer it to the soldiers first.

Easy enough to believe.

IMDB said:
An active supporter of the US Democratic Party, he has been outspoken about his opposition to the war in Iraq. However, he has become the most consistent entertainer of US troops since the war began, leading some to dub him the next Bob Hope.

It's nice to know that there is someone in Hollyweird that can make the distinction between the war (started by politicians) and those fighting it (who probably don't want to be there in the first place...)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000245/bio

the other thing you can do is drop some money in the uso lounge when you fly. I usually stop in to grab a coke. The USO people do an amazing job, they have drinks and snacks, keep a clean facility, and for the mast part it gives traveling soldiers a place to sleep, since a lot of times you will get scheduled for long layovers. The USO people all volunteer and, like I said, they do a great job. I always try to have some extra cash to donate when I fly.

Robin Williams is a douche.
Thats an imaginative characterization. :twak:

You have something subsantive to actually back up your opinion?

the other thing you can do is drop some money in the uso lounge when you fly. I usually stop in to grab a coke. The USO people do an amazing job, they have drinks and snacks, keep a clean facility, and for the mast part it gives traveling soldiers a place to sleep, since a lot of times you will get scheduled for long layovers. The USO people all volunteer and, like I said, they do a great job. I always try to have some extra cash to donate when I fly.

Yah. Since I quit flying, I just send them donations a couple of times a year (unless I have to go to an airport for an unrelated reason, and their lounge is outside of the "secure area.")

Two reasons - 1) Yes, it's to give something back to my brothers & sisters in arms. 2) I did a lot of commercial travelling while I was in, and the USO was a huge help while I was doing it. So, I want to give something back to them as well.

(Why did I quit flying? Two main reasons - first, the seats are too damned small. Second, when TSA told me I was "grossly overqualified" (their words!) I jumped into a half-hour monologue on what they were doing wrong, what they could do to fix it, and which models they should follow (Israeli.)

(Hasn't yielded anything, but hope springs eternal...)

Back