• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys trackbar mount flexing

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Rustys track bar mount that has been making popping and cracking sounds for some time. It was installed by a previous owner. The horizontal bolts seem to be solid, but the vertical part is moving up to 1/8 inch. I disassembled it and immediately noticed the hardware is quite a bit smaller than the hole. It is hard to believe the mount is flexing that much. My initial reaction is to drill the frame rail and upgrade to larger hardware. Is this the best fix?

its incredible how much that trackbar mount will flex... i bet if you put a tape measure on the frame rails on a high speed run, you'd notice they seperate or come together 1/4 inch of so, trackbar braces are important.

the hardware updizing will be a good first start, if it continues, look into a brace, or welding your trackbar bracket to the uniframe.

ive welded every trackbar mount ive had to the jeep. lots of stress in there with larger tires and wheeling. and they only end up loosening again and again after tightening.

that whole area of the uniframe should be reinforced as well. lots of stress between the steering box and trackbar.

Thanks for the feedback. The hole size in the mount is 5/8" dia, but the hardware is 1/2". I am tired of this. Maybe I will reinforce it, bolt it AND weld it. :)

get or build a brace... this is your best bet after you upgrade the hardware and possibly the joint... if you have the rustys system then the brace is only like 50 bucks and bolts on

oh and i always like to add weld washers to the outside of the drilled holes just for reinforcement in case the bolt wants to wallow out the hole more...

or take it all down and upgrade... iron man 4x4, tnt customs, etc...

Get yourself a track bar/ mount from Iron Rock Offroad. Mine is welded on, and solid.

Bushings are still good after about 2 years too!

Back