• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's long arms???

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this but does anyone have Rustys long arm kit and if so how is it holding up and how does it ride? I talked to him the other day and he told me that the arms have ACME threads on them and pivot on the threads. I know Teraflex used to use these also and I thought they stopped because they had a lot of play in them. I dont want to start a bashing so I would only like to here from those that have the kit and are currently wheelin it.

Thanks
Jeff

Just my $.02, but I have never none anyone to say anything good about Rusty's stuff. I personaly won't use any of it just because of the bad reports.

I have enough trouble keeping my junk welded together anyways. :D

P.S. I like your sig line, I try that line myself at times.

Well I have it and love it have Wheeled Tellico 3 times, Moab for a week and Gray Rock in South AL it rides great...and flexes really ggod...have had not problems with it rattleing or anything...

Have a friend who put on on last Sept and he loves it also...He wheels it every other weekend and he plays harder than I do...

I've had a set on for about 2 weeks now. I haven't done any serious wheelin yet, but have played around on some hills and mud holes nearby. So far they've been great. They have really improved the on-road ride and they flex very well. I'm going to Beasly Knob with the SE Chapter this Saturday, so I should have a better idea how they do offroad. For the most part I've been pretty happy with Rusty's stuff. The only thing of his that didn't work out for me was the engine/tranny skid. I had to take it back off because the front drive shaft would hit it when the front was flexed up.

jeepme said:
I talked to him the other day and he told me that the arms have ACME threads on them and pivot on the threads.
Thanks
Jeff

Its been awhile since Ive seen Rusty on here but,the last time this came up "he" said he would make them w/ JJ's or RE superflex joints if you wanted them!

I've had them since March of this year. Been out at least once a month with them and drive it to work everyday. I sit at 8+" and love the ride and flex. I had to replace the bushings (he uses stock rubber bushings) and I went with poly. It seemed a little loose with the rubber ones. I would recommend them for anything over 6", wasn't hard to install either. And for what its worth, I've never had a problem with Rusty's stuff, or shipping.
Just my $.02.

The quality of Rusty’s long arm is top notch will engineered and manufactured. I have driven several time from southern California to Moab and Colorado the ride is excellent not to soft or stiff, I’m running MT/R 35” driving down the freeways at 85MPH with out it wondering all over the road, seem like it almost stock on the road.

Off-road it’s even performs better it gets so much flex I installed limiting strap in the front. This thing wheels off-roads better than my extremely built 68 Jeep C-5. I have nothing negative to say about Rusty’s long arm kit. There also the debates about bolt-on verse weld-on which has never been an issue with me. If I ever have a problem I would just weld it on. I took it to the Moab Easter Safari and the NAXJ Fall Fling this year and had no problems plus a bunch of the local trail.

Xman, :)

I have had it for over a year now and don't have anything bad to say about the quality, ride or flex of his long arm. I could about some of his other products, but won't. I had the same problem with the engine skid plate but solved it by elongating the mounting holes and moving it over. The long arm will flex as far as you let it. The longer the shock, the more it will flex. Definitly upgrade to the 9 position shocks. Much better than the hydro's that come with the kit.

Glad to hear something that Rusty builds works.....so far.

However, it's simple: Threads are for locking a nut to a bolt not pivoting your suspension on.

Another vote for Rusty, have his long arms for over a year now and have not had a single problem with them. Flexes like crazy and rides great.

Just tighten down the jam nuts for on road use and open them for off road :D

i dont have anything of rustys, but i did see the the l.a. conv. as well as both steering setups, in person at the pa jeeps show last summer. looks like some good stuff to me.

I have Rusty's long arms, and just about every other Cherokee part he sells. My Cherokee is lifted to 8 inches now, I started with his 4.5 inch kit. The long arms are incredible on and off road. My friends with CJ's are amazed when I go where they go with 40 inch tires when I only have 33's. I am pro Rusty's, he has always been fair, offered good parts at fair prices, and shared his experience building Cherokees. The long arm suspension is definitely one of the best mods I've made.(Along with the lockers, SYE,winch,steering conversion, ...)

Hey thanks for the posts this is exactly what I was looking for some real world experiences. Looks likes I will be getting the upgrade kit when the xmas bonus hits my pocket.

Thanks again for all the good reports
Jeff

I've heard tons of bad stuff about Rusty's on the internet, however EVERYONE that I know in REAL LIFE that I've talked to FACE TO FACE and seen Rusty's stuff on their vehicles is very happy with all their Rusty's stuff.

I got the full 8 inch long arm kit from rustys and love everything it came with and they have made alot of changes with the kits since they came out such as they come with new bushings in the arms and the 9 pos shocks which I have to say are the perfect length. The only thing that I did not like about the kit was the trackbar which broke twice and I have since replaced with another crappy trackbar :(

Hey any of you have pics of your rigs with the Rustys kit on? I would love to see how it looks. So if ya gottem post em.

Thanks
Jeff

Here you go.

XJ1%20Lake8.jpg

:)

"Nice Ride"

Back