• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustproofing

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

I am at a loss and I need your collective wisdom...

I really like the brand new car I just bought (yup, Jeep is still here..no need to ask) and would like to protect my new purchase. I live in New England, as a matter of fact, I walk to the beach from my house. All seasons here are very "salty".

I have been educating myself on rustproofing for days now and am in the middle of nowhere. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like wax-based undercoatings are the best. Problem is that what the Internet thinks its best is not available here in the US: Waxoyl.

Actually, it is available, but not to DIYers. I dont mind paying for someone to apply the undercoating, but in order to keep the cost down, they dont just disassemble the panels, they drill holes though which they apply the treatment. I can remove the door panels myself and apply the treatment. I am mostly interested in the undercoating.

My question is: Are wax-based rustproofing solutions better and what are your recommendations? I see "Eastwood" offers a range of products...who else is a big player?

Thanks in advance.

Best

Boris​

You might want to post this in the OEM forum, it's a valid tech question.

i always found that keeping the car clean was the best for rust prevention. that includes cleaning out all the areas where dirt/road salt accumilates. I grew up in CT and the only rust free cars over 10 years old were the ones that were detailed on a fairly regular basis. my buick was 12 years old and didnt have a spot of rust on it.

The way cars rust out is if moisture stays in contact with them for extended periods of time. That's almost always in the rockers, floor pans, any pinch seams at the bottoms of the doors and tailgate... the usual.

If you can make it so the water will drain out (even if it means boring a hole, as long as it gets repainted or otherwise protected after) and then seal the inside and outside of the pinch seams, you're ahead.

Same goes for the rockers - often I see drain channels formed into the pinch weld, the only reason they start to rot out is because the channels get packed full of mud, instead of letting the water drain out.

Floors - well, the auto makers like to make their cars comfortable and quiet, so there's usually a heavy layer of carpet padding and sound dampening material under there that doubles as a very nice sponge.

If you can solve those problems... you are good to go.

Are you saying drain channels are on all stock XJ's?
If so, I'd like to take a coat hanger and clear them out.
Are they obviously to locate?

They are on my 98, I wish I had noticed them sooner. Feel along the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker and you will find them, they slant back toward the rear of the vehicle and are about 3/8" wide and 3/16" thick. Took me maybe 5min to clear them out with a random twig I picked up.

Should I look for the same type of thing in my doors or other areas? Might as well do all of them. Can you make a list of spots?

That's the only ones I've found. The doors are a problem area since it is a folded over seam instead of a pinch weld, so no matter what the lowest point will always collect water...

Back