• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Removal

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple of front shafts where the splines have taken a rusting due to sitting out in the weather. I remember at a shop I worked in a looong time ago there was a vat of molasses and water that we would soak parts in and they came out rust free. Not Safeway type molasses from the kitchen but the industrial strength purchased at livestock feed stores.

Has anyone else used this method? Do you recall what the molasses:water ratio is?

Thanks,
Tom

rust? in CA? aahahahahahahaahahaha.

i use naval jelly, works pretty good.

How do you get the jelly in your naval?

Alright, this is like my theory about Lutefisk. Who in their right mind puts fish in a lie barrel, then eats it sometime later? Some poor soul must have hungry enough to pull it out of there after accidentally dropping it in.
(Damn, no fish...Oh, wait, I dropped one in the lie barrel the other day. Well, let's see if it's edible)

Same thing with Molasses. Who would put Molasses on a part to see if it removes rust? Maybe they were working their way though the food groups?
(Picture two guys in lab coats. One has a clip board with foods on it)
Tuna - Nope
Bacon - Nope
Molasses - Yep

Alright, this is like my theory about Lutefisk. Who in their right mind puts fish in a lie barrel, then eats it sometime later? Some poor soul must have hungry enough to pull it out of there after accidentally dropping it in.
(Damn, no fish...Oh, wait, I dropped one in the lie barrel the other day. Well, let's see if it's edible)

Same thing with Molasses. Who would put Molasses on a part to see if it removes rust? Maybe they were working their way though the food groups?
(Picture two guys in lab coats. One has a clip board with foods on it)
Tuna - Nope
Bacon - Nope
Molasses - Yep

It's spelled lye and Norwegians are the people that do it. What kind of cheesehead are you?

Back