• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rural Internet

Satellite is a DO NOT! Even dial-up would be better and more reliable because at least with dial-up you don't expect much.

4G is good. I lived about 20 miles outside Amarillo, TX and I had Clear 4G as my provider. It would go out every once in a while because they were having issues with one of their towers but they had a 98% up time. I was able to get 12 Mbps x 3 Mbps at the highest but I was always above 3 Mbps download. I would recommend it. Plus satellite internet will charge you two arms and two legs.

X2 on the satellite. Or hughes net at least. The plan I have claims 2mbps. I tested it the other day online and it showed 0.05mbps with an almost 2 second ping. Freaking. Ridiculous.

4G would be waaaay faster, probably more reliable (depending on service of course), and around the same cost if not a tad cheaper.

You can compare your cell phone 4G plans with something like clearwire.com. Clearwire is a Wireless ISP they supply a 4G router that plugs into your home network and you get a monthly bill.

Another option for connecting your home network would be to get a router that supports 4G. Some are integrated but most you supply the 4G USB card. CradlePoint.com has some reasonably priced 4G routers but I've never used them.

At my last job we used some cradlepoint products. They were completely the wrong tool for the job we were trying to use them for, but did the job they were intended for quite nicely during testing.

WiFI is the most practical.

No big dish, good speeds providing you're within a reasonable distance to the tower and have line of sight.

We use it at work, it gets 5mb, that's capped. The backhaul is the limiting factor.

The quality of your service greatly depends on the provider and what equipment they're using. Our guy is good, and is using motorola Canopy stuff for equipment.

obviously a crappy provider will have crappy service. Ask about how many people the radio is servicing.

Any local wifi provider will be a local company, I'm sure somebody around there is doing it.

other than that, yes, you can pipe a 4g hotspot into a LAN, I've done it, and even ran a VPN across a MiFi. (temporary kiosk in a meijer's), but like Jeff said, unlimited plans aren't unimited anymore, and with your OTA antenna/internet TV plans, you'll kill that plan in a hurry.

At the peak of our netflix usage we were pulling 8-10GB of data a day according to my router logs. That was just one television.

I hope it is better than their crappy cell phones.....

Motorola Mobility (cell phone division) /= Motorola Commercial Radios.
As of recently motorola mobility isn't even a part of motorola. Google bought them last August.

anyway, I'd call those local wifi people, they're probably your best bet for uncapped internets out in the boonies.

motorola commercial radios are great. They're built to handle cops, security guards, and jail guards using them as footballs, and sitting on their mics all day... the repeaters and fixed station gear is just as good.

I live in a rural area with no cell service unless i stand on top of my house. I found a local line of sight wagi dish using ISP that allows me 5 down and 2 up for download/upload speeds. The 40 foot tower on top my house, to clear the trees, cost $200 and monthly fee is $90 for the "business" package. Lower bit rates are cheaper but they are capped. There are several out here in east TX.
I use Argon Technologies. Phantom Wireless is out here and so is Texas Broadband...

dave b

We don't have a land line,cell service(spotty at best) and no cable out here.So my wildblue satellite is the best thing i can have.I have never lost service in 4 years.Will if i loose power we do till i kick on my gen set.But i don't mind being a little slow.I don't like city living at all

motorola commercial radios are great. They're built to handle cops, security guards, and jail guards using them as footballs, and sitting on their mics all day... the repeaters and fixed station gear is just as good.

I have seen what Mac does with his radio, makes me glad I don't ever have to talk into that mic....

I have a plan....
My sister lives at the top of a hill 1200 feet away form my new place.
She has the choice of three LOS ISPs.
Why can't I set up a wireless bridge between her place and mine?
I have been looking at Ubiquiti stuff, I think I can buy the equipment for $500.00 or so.
Any one have any experience with it?

Ubiquiti makes good quality dishes for C-band equipment, we used them extensively for prototyping purposes at my last job. I can't vouch for their other equipment but based on my experiences with them I would give it a shot and see how it works out. We based all our equipment off ATH IDUs and Nort ODUs, but that's all four-figure priced gear that you likely have absolutely no need or budget for.

Make sure the dish is secured damn well... iirc their 3 foot dish has a beam width of approx 5-6 degrees and the 6 foot dish is down around 3 degrees, so if you do not aim it carefully / peak the RSSI you will have connection stability and throughput issues. Also keep icing in mind, I believe they have a heated radome available for them but not too sure.

yes, 1200 feet is not a big deal. I'm done setups that reach farther than that.

the ubiquiti stuff is very nice, but it's $$$.

we could probably do it cheaper, but will require a little DIY on your part.

http://www.engeniustech.com/network...tworking/outdoor-access-points-client-bridges

I've used the engenius stuff as well and it's a good balance between not sucking and money.

specifically:
http://www.engeniustech.com/busines...ess-points-client-bridges/16334-enh210ext-new

800mw of transmit power is boss.

Last edited:
Back