• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Runs?

I remember finally making it up on my own power. I was just so happy and relieved to have made it, after years of failures and breakage, that I guess I blurred everything out. Sorry John. But absolutely, a good spotter is the biggest key in making it up. Thank you.

If you do not have 33s and two lockers, don't even try it. You're likely to break something and hold everyone up. One year, I popped a bead, broke an axle u-joint, and had my exhaust come apart. All at the same time.

At any given point, you may only have one front tire and one rear tire on the rocks. So unless you have two lockers, you'll be spinning your tires. But of course, Santa always made it look easy.

IMG_1321.jpg

And body damage is a distinct possibility.

rabbit.jpg

Last edited:
If you do not have 33s and two lockers, don't even try it. You're likely to break something and hold everyone up.

Well then what else is there to wheel? :dunno: I mean if us one locker guys wanted to take the scenic route to have a picnic and watch the clouds change shapes. I for one would rather stay home. I'm just sayin.

Well Odessa is a bit fun but provided the bypass is open it's pretty common to split the Doran group in two, the bigger Jeeps do the gatekeeper then after spectating for a little while the smaller ones take the bypass and get dropped into upper Doran.

Upper Doran
1_22_2005___calico_121.jpg

Yes, Gatekeeper is one 100 foot section of one trail. The bypass goes up and around and drops you right at the far end of the obstacle. Out of a group of Jeeps, maybe only 3-4 will even attempt Gatekeeper. I'll be taking the bypass and watching the fun.

I wouldn't mind trying the gatekeeper so long as i have a good spotter. I need to try and see what the new set up can do. :)

PMS in action. The first of my failed attempts.

calico1.jpg

Calico has one of the best combinations of easy, moderate, scenic, and hardcore trails of anywhere around, all in close proximity of each other. We run hardcore stuff that will challenge a rock buggy. One idea about a group wanting to run Gatekeeper is to bypass it in the morning and come back around to it in the afternoon on the way back to camp. That way the group doesn't sit there forever and the folks that are going to break have already spent the day wheeling.

Calico has a lot of cool stuff if you know where it is.

I was just hoping for more. I don't want to drag my pile for 6 hours to run just one obstacle. FWIW I'm ok with damage so long as I don't barrel role it :gee:

I was just hoping for more. I don't want to drag my pile for 6 hours to run just one obstacle. FWIW I'm ok with damage so long as I don't barrel role it :gee:

Too bad I can't make it that weekend, I'd show you more than you'd want to handle. :D

Here's a few misc pics of wheeling in Calico.

Doran Canyon (not the Gatekeeper)

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Mud canyons

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Scrambler Canyon

standard.jpg

standard.jpg