• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running a splitter on an 8.8

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well i finished up my 8.8 a while ago. i didn't do the brakes the way i wanted to the first time, because i was in a time crunch since it was my DD. im about to help a friend finish his 8.8 and wanted to do the brakes the right way, then redo mine

what i did on mine was, i ran a hard line from caliper to caliper, then from the right side i ran a hard line up to the left side of the frame rail to the brake line. its ghetto, looks bad, and i just dont like it. anyways, i wanted to do it right with a hyraulic line coming from the frame, to a splitter on the left side of the axle, then hard lines out from that.

anybody know where i can buy a splitter, and hydraulic line, and how do most people mount the splitter to the axle

thanks

I plan to use an XJ line. I'll make the ends on the 8.8 hardline fit into the XJ line. I'll drill and tap a hole in one of the tubes to mount the line just like it was on the 8.25. Easy enough, eh?

most rear brake lines are like what you want, as long as you buy the middle one. If you get the one for a ford 9" truck it is nice and long.

Use a regular extended rear brake hose from a lift kit.

You can use the breather fitting from your old axle (or find one from a D35 if you pitched it) to hold the axle end to the tube. It will thread right into the 8.8's breather hole.

Two passenger side brake hoses from the explorer. Rigid line from the drivers side to your block and from the passenger side over the diff to the other side of the block.

Bleed 'em and you're done.

RedHeep said:
Use a regular extended rear brake hose from a lift kit.

You can use the breather fitting from your old axle (or find one from a D35 if you pitched it) to hold the axle end to the tube. It will thread right into the 8.8's breather hole.

Two passenger side brake hoses from the explorer. Rigid line from the drivers side to your block and from the passenger side over the diff to the other side of the block.

Bleed 'em and you're done.

X2 ..same thing i did works perfect
only thing i did different was bought a right side brake hose from pep boys to replace the one ford used on the left(drivers) side and made lines fight and works perfect.

Yes, just ask for a rear brake hose. The splitter you want is part of it. If you have a few inches of lift, you may want to get one for a 95 wrangler, its plenty long. Good Luck

MufflerBearing said:
X2 ..same thing i did works perfect
only thing i did different was bought a right side brake hose from pep boys to replace the one ford used on the left(drivers) side and made lines fight and works perfect.

That's the "two passenger side hoses" part. :rolleyes:

Here is a pic from a TJ I did.

8.jpg

wishihad1 said:
so i can reuse a 8.25 splitter. will the hard line screw into that, or will i have to drill and tap it out?

and i need to buy 2 passenger side hoses

thanks
Yup!
It's the same thread as the ford parts already, standard 3/16" hard line.
Also, just to clarify, the passenger hoses are from the exploder.

Back