• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RuffStuff Specialties diff covers?

I "mostly" installed my countersunk D30 cover yesterday, and have a couple of questions. I say "mostly" because I didn't do the second torque sequence on the lubelocker (goes to my first question below) and fill the pumpkin yet.

First question: I stripped out the 3/16" hex bit I bought on the first bolt of the 35 ft-lb sequence for the gasket (no issues with the 15 ft-lb pass) - guess it serves me right for buying that "Great Neck" set from Autozone. For those of you who have completed your install with a lubelocker, what brand of hex bits have you used successfully (in other words, what brand can tolerate 35 ft-lbs without stripping)?

Second question: Is thread sealant recommended on the fill plug? I've been wondering all weekend about whether to put some pipe thread tape on it just to be sure it doesn't leak, but wasn't sure whether it was a good idea or not.

Oh, and POLAR_JEEP_04? You can also try www.lubelocker.com

Rob

P.S. Say Dan, didn't you start out here under the moniker "Gravel Maker"? Seems to me that would be a fairly good nickname for your diff covers, given how strongly they seem to be built. "Gravel Maker Series Diff Cover" seems to have a nice ring to it.

Rob Mayercik said:
Second question: Is thread sealant recommended on the fill plug? I've been wondering all weekend about whether to put some pipe thread tape on it just to be sure it doesn't leak, but wasn't sure whether it was a good idea or not.

I would say yes to this only because i havent done it yet, and my cover leaks from the fill plug as stated in my last post. Later this week im going to pull the plug and use some high temp liquid thread sealant on it. Im sure teflon pipe thread tape will do the job also, but i personally just dont want to use tape in that area.

FWIW i use Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil.

Rob Mayercik said:
I "mostly" installed my countersunk

not required, but I always use teflon tape on threaded diff cover plugs.

souske said:
could try using a countersunk bolt with a larger size allen cut to gain tool strength:wave:

Where did you get some of those?

Back