• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trip this Summer

so they're worried about off roaders damaging the area, and the solution is blow it up and fill it will imported rubble?

yeah that sounds like the intelligent thing to do :rolleyes:

they are doing it because they want to close the bypasses and that means that a rig with 31" tires has to be able to make it.

so they're worried about off roaders damaging the area, and the solution is blow it up and fill it will imported rubble?

DOT has been up there most of the summer doing "maintenance". I understand there is a court order to maintain the trail and also address sediment run-off issues...

There are a bunch of spots on the trail they are filling in with rock. They were working on Big Sluice when we went through and had already leveled a really nice obstacle and were adding a bunch of that same crushed rock to the trail.

They're also building crushed rock sediment traps all along the trail with that same rock. It's all over up there now.

We met a guy who I think was with Friends of the Rubicon. He said environmental teams went through the entire trail in both spring and fall and surveyed all the places where water run-off crosses the trail. And DOT now has to address all those spots with sediment traps and placing crushed rock on the trail to catch sediment in any running water or run-off that crosses the trail.

they are supposed to be putting the obstacles in big sluice back the way they were once they get the heavy equipment through...

they are supposed to be putting the obstacles in big sluice back the way they were once they get the heavy equipment through...

Where did you hear that?

Right at that sharp left at the bottom of the first hill... there used to be two nice lines there. To the left was a pretty hairy notch kind of thing... to the right was a nice little drop off.

When we went through that spot in August, both those lines were gone and it was mostly crushed rock. I don't see how they could re-create what used to be there.

Last edited:
Where did you hear that?

Right at that sharp left at the bottom of the first hill... there used to be two nice lines there. To the left was a pretty hairy notch kind of thing... to the right was a nice little drop off.

When we went through that spot in August, both those lines were gone and it was mostly crushed rock. I don't see how they could re-create what used to be there.

I read that from the locals on pirate...

All this talk of how this trail is changing reminded me to dig up some info on that trail off-shoot right before Cadillac Hill...remember the one we stopped at, took a picture of the sign, but didn't go down?

TKS-11 trail, AKA "Long Lake Trail". Here's some info on it:

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1t4np/CaliforniaAssociatio/resources/24.htm

2nbrgd0.jpg

Back