• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trip for 2010????

Haha. :)

Howzabout:
Yippeee!!
YeeHaw!!
Yahooo!!
HooHah!!
There, is that better?

i would still like to go but i wont, know untill it gets closer, im leaning twards yes though,.......especially cause i missed so calfest

hmmmmmmm...

Jeez, Amie, he said it is really purdy up there, not "You've got a purdy mouth"... Sheesh!

Damn, now I'm hearing banjos. Sigh...

I'm in, so we can split it 5 ways. Justin and Vince also showed interest in joining us, which may mean we will be splitting it 7 ways. I will try to get a for sure "yes" or "no" by the end of the week from the two of them.

I am supposed to be going to visit my family in Michigan July 2nd-July 12th. I haven't been back there in a few years, so I really should go if I can. Not sure if I am going to be able to afford it anyway. So, if I can't I will see if I can change my vacation days around. If I do go to Michigan, there is no way I can make it to Rubicon.

Sence i cant read, what are the offical dates of the trip. I wanna come!

Geez, Ted, you gonna get another XJ by then? :laugh: Sorry, couldn't resist. It'll be interesting to see how a Toy does vs an XJ on the Rubi... it'd be cool if you can make it!

Looking forward to seeing the foreign beastie at the M&G on Weds...

Finally got ahold of Vince today. He's not a NAXJA guy but a very fun and EXTREMELY knowledgable XJ guy who a lot of people know on here. He said he should be able to join us. He has ran the rubicon and would be glad to guide us through. He also mentioned that 3 full days on the trail may be overkill. He thought that if we head out Sunday morning we would be easily finished with the trail by Tuesday and that would be if we REALLY took our time. So it looks like we have about 6 or 7 for sures. This should be one awesome trip.

Finally got ahold of Vince today. He's not a NAXJA guy but a very fun and EXTREMELY knowledgable XJ guy who a lot of people know on here. He said he should be able to join us. He has ran the rubicon and would be glad to guide us through. He also mentioned that 3 full days on the trail may be overkill. He thought that if we head out Sunday morning we would be easily finished with the trail by Tuesday and that would be if we REALLY took our time. So it looks like we have about 6 or 7 for sures. This should be one awesome trip.

Welli have that whole week off and as of now i think the plan is to leave on Sat. We get back when we get back. IM super stoked about this trip! you dont even know!

I was thinking we could camp Saturday night then head out onto the trail early Sunday morning. We would be on the trail all Sunday, camp Sunday night on the trail, hit the trail on Monday, camp Monday night on the trail and finish the trail Tuesday. We could then spend the night in a cheap local hotel and then head home on Wednesday and be home by Wednesday evening. If guys want to stay longer and hit other trails then cool. I will HAVE to be home by Wednesday. I arranged a sitter for my son and she can only stay with him until Wednesday evening.

You can't really spend too much time on the Rubicon. It's not just about running the trail, which you can do in a day depending on the group and any possible breakdowns. The camping is very nice, and after all the work to get ready to go, and the long drive up there, it's great to take a lay day at Buck Island Lake or Rubicon Springs and swim and chill out, and not have to break camp and pack up. Hell, I'd spend 3 nights at Buck Island and run the trail backwards one day and go up True Big Sluice and then back down the slabs, or go back up the slabs and down True Big back to Buck Island. You can also take a nice hike around Buck Island Lake to the stream on the other side, or hike up a trail to a couple more lakes upstream......or sit in camp and chill.

A perfect 'Con trip is one day to Buck Island, 2 days camping at the lake, then a day to drive out to lake Tahoe. If you end up camping at Rubicon Springs, you can drive out to Tahoe and drive home in a day. Leave early Wed morning, like 7:00ish, and drive all the way home that day. You'll camp next to the river at Rubicon Springs, so can still go swimming, just not like in the lake. We've driven home all the way from there plenty of times, and on a Sunday when the traffic is bad getting out of Lake Tahoe. On a Wed it would be better.

Have a great trip!

Back