• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubber fender trim?

Bushwackers would be the way to go but are prone to damage on the trail, im all for the tyres hanging out past the body with no flares and thik the only decent solution is to paint up the chop job. Just get the paint matched and spray/brush on with an appropriate etch primer layed down first, will hold up no wories as long as the specified pait spec system is used (i am a protective coatings engineer aka painter :p). As for rubber trim to cover up the edge, even the trim that comes with bushwackers fail after time and the end edges seems to some lose and flap in the wind, more so when offrading is applied with pace and fury, mud rocks and ruts :D.

How thick do you recommend buying it?

BTW, don't buy that protekto trim listed. It doesn't wrap around both sides, just sticks on one side.
I'm PRETTY sure this is the exact size I have on my rear fenders of my XJ, I KNOW this is who I bought it from, great to deal with btw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-16...5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I don't have any pictures right now I don't think, but it looks great IMO. Let me see if I can find some.

BOOM!

IMG_0109-1.jpg

IMG_0108-1.jpg

IMG_0107-1.jpg

subscribed, and saved for a later date after i trim. haha. did you simply cut and fold jim? and pics of the front? inside and out of the fender... id like to see how you finished it off.

off topic: and what tires are those? ive never seen them. :dunno:

I cut and folded the rear quarter, but for the fender I actually cut the body line. This is, as a general rule, a no no in the Jeeper world. But I couldn't bring myself to do the old cut and fold method on the fender well, it looks HORRID on most XJ's I've seen. I actually cut along the body line, and seperated the inner and outer fender. This allows dirt and flex which is bad for your unibody. However the XJ has TNT stiffeners, TMR front stiffeners, and T&J / Currie stiffeners, and is now getting a cage, so she's plenty stiff. As for dirt and water and what not, the trim seals that gap up pretty good, you could run a bead of silicone from the inside and completely seal it up.

I have glass fenders up front, so no trim needed there. But before I had glass I had them trimmed, but only lined with that crappy autozone door trim like everybody else tried. It works horribly, this stuff is still sticking over a year and a half later.

Tires are BFG Baja T/A's. A hard sidewalled desert racing tire :D

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...l Tires&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

I have glass fenders up front, so no trim needed there. But before I had glass I had them trimmed, but only lined with that crappy autozone door trim like everybody else tried. It works horribly, this stuff is still sticking over a year and a half later.
gah... i knew that. :looser:

well, then maybe you can help me out. any chance i can get photos of the inside of your front fender wells? take it to PMs if youd like.

Back