• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RPM at a Given Speed?

1985xjlaredo said:
Yes start locking up is what I ment to say. Is a new Tq converter going to be just popping out the tranny and pulling it off and putting a new one on?

Yah - it just slips in to the front of the transmission. There is a nested splined shaft (for driving the geartrain) and a pair of drive notches (to drive the front pump,) but that's easy to line up. The most difficult part is to make sure it's seated all the way down before you try to reinstall the transmission.

What Ecomike suggested is also valid - does the shift from second to third feel like the shift from first to second, or is it "softer?" TCC lockup won't happen in first, but it can happen in pretty much any steady-state cruising from 35mph on up, so it could happen in second. It would feel like a "soft shift," as I mentioned before.

UPDATE: I have had the transmission and the tcase rebuilt with a new tq converter and still no change. I still am turning 4000 at 60mph. It is shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and the converter is locking up. I dont have only one other idea about this. My carburetor is a vac second. I know that it is not opening up the secondary. When I pull the throttle I can see that it is not opening. SO maybe the engine is pushing so hard as its starved that it turns this amount?

UPDATE: I have had the transmission and the tcase rebuilt with a new tq converter and still no change. I still am turning 4000 at 60mph. It is shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and the converter is locking up. I dont have only one other idea about this. My carburetor is a vac second. I know that it is not opening up the secondary. When I pull the throttle I can see that it is not opening. SO maybe the engine is pushing so hard as its starved that it turns this amount?

TPS? My RPMs were high when my TPS was bad...

~Scott

TPS? My RPMs were high when my TPS was bad...

~Scott

does a carberator have a tps?

did you ever find the gear ratio of the axles.

could spin the driveshaft and count how many times the tire spins. count how many revelutions of the drive shaft it takes to turn the tire one rev.

Could be stuck in second gear, geared to run at that rpm in third and stuck in third. RPM comes off an electronic sensor usually tied to the ignition, so I doubt it is wrong, but vehicle speed could be reading wrong due to gearing issues.

Could the transfer case be slipping, clutches? Is the tranny computer controlled?

Is everything stock, like the RPM and Vehicle speed gauges?

Yes everything is stock. THe tires are 225/75/r15 it came with 215/75/r15 but its only about half and in bigger in diameter. The gauges are all stock. There is a TPS built inside the carb. I will jack it up and see what the driveshaft to tire spin ratio is tonite.

Back