• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Royal Purple?

is that true about mobil not being full synthetic now? was thinking about switching from castrol syntec in my dd car to mobil one,but if mobil one isn't full synthetic,why bother?

Its a rumor that you'll find all over the internet, do a google search for Mobil1 Hydroisomerization or Hydrocracked. The latter words are the process used to refine crude into the high quality base stock that they call Synthetic? Group III is another search term, since Group III is the category for Base Stock that is Hydrocracked Crude like Castrol Syntec. Group IV is the category for PAO base stock oils.

The only results I have seen are all Internet Boards like this one, so yea, I have only found RUMORS as evidence. I have yet to see anything official.

Mobil1 created PAO base stock in the 50's that why they still stuck with it, and where the same that sued people using crude oil and calling "Synthetic". Well Exxon did, Mobil1 is just a brand name for Exxon.

But you've got to figure, there are only so many years Mobil1 is going to watch their competitors walk away with 4 times as much profit as they do, for supplying a lower cost and inferior product at the same price. And no matter what legitimate course of action they take to resolve it, just fails in court by the lawyers and the sanctioning bodies. At what points do you finally give in and just join them and take home some of that easy cash yourself?

Like I said, for years after this debate, I've bought Mobil1 and it was always a pure yellow tinted almost clear fluid. Lately the Mobil1 I have bought has changed to a much darker fluid with a lot of brown in the yellow, like a lot of the hydrocracked synthetic fakers. Does that prove anything, NO, it could just be my memory failing me. It does make me suspicious the rumors are true.

As well, Synthetic being a gimmick, NO its NOT. BUT, the point is very valid that it may be overkill that you really don't need, and thus are just wasting money when you could protect your motor just as well with a good quality conventional oil. That is a very valid point and is probably what the poster meant when stating its a gimmick. There are motors/vehicles/conditions where PAO synthetic is very warranted, and thus its a wrong to consider it a gimmick, but a valid point where a lot of people use it were it may be such overkill that they very well may be just wasting money the extra cost of using it.

Last edited:
I used to think what he had to say was true....but.....

as Lucas Oil said, who is actually sure what oils are in his tests?

They just say he's an angry man with another oil company.

You really don't know.

Yeah, I don't usually read his tests, just the results other users on his forums have experienced with oils I'm considering. Luckily the 4.0L Jeep I6 is fairly common, so I just look for posts with oil analysis and results.

I haven't been there in a while, but IIRC Mobil 1 was one of the best for the I6.

--Roman

Blaine B. said:
Aren't there two versions of Valvoline max life?

The last oil change I did, I didn't notice that it was a synthetic blend. When I did an oil change last week, I noticed the bottle said "synthetic blend"

New label, or what? Has it always been a synthetic blend?

They offer a full synthetic and a synthetic blend in Max-Life oils.

From the Mobil 1 web site today FAQ section

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

It seems as though they dance around the PAO term.

If you are really concerned you can't go wrong with Redline. I think they are the only company in that is available in the US to make a Class V PolyEster based oil. Its really nice stuff and will lengthen your change intervals considerably.

Last edited:
I've put royal purple Max Gear in my transfer case and it quited it down. I have plans for RP in the oil, diffs, tranny, purple ice in the coolant and power steering fluid.

The 4.0 has a reputation of running up to 250000 with regular motor oil. I don't think there is any reason to fill it with overpriced gimmicy named oil products. No offense but you are wasting your money.

Synthetic will stand up to heat far better, as well, has more sheer strength to viscosity than conventional oil. A turbo motor, some of the exotic sports cars with big V8's crammed into a tiny engine compartment, they really do need or would benefit from Synthetic oil. Some of the high reving motors, or motors really pushed to the edge all the time, would also benefit, since the higher film strength/shear resistance would protect better in the extreme conditions.

The Jeep 4.0 doesn't fall into that category, so there is a point there, Synthetic may just be wasting your money on overkill protection you don't need.

Bear in mind, many people that have tried synthetic in their 4.0L have found benefits, either a reduction in the noise, lifter noise going away, smoother idle, etc. Are they just fooling themselves? or the small benefit isn't really worth the cost, thats for them to decide.

I had to change the headgasket on my little MOPAR 2.0L 4Cyl in another vehicle(Neon R/T, my poor-man's Sports Car), I had been driving that motor Hard, it Redlined at 7k RPM and I had been taking it up to Redline almost everyday. I'm a mad man on the freeway on-ramp, I floor it and do a max acceleration, jack rabbit starts, etc. I went to Mobil1 at the 2nd oil change (breakin) and used it exclusively. When I pulled the head off at 66k miles, the Cross-Hatch HONE was perfectly visible on the cylinders, like it was brand new. The head, had the slightest yellowish tint on it, after washing with water and soap it disappeared and there was absolutely no deposits, varnish or dirt on the head at all, it was perfectly clean as a new head.

Yea, the motor would still probably be in good shape if I had used regular oil, I doubt as good of shape or as clean, but was it worth spending twice as much for oil over the years?

The other point about Synthetic, you can extend your oil changes because of the better quality, if you use Synthetic but change half as often, the price evens out, and overall its probably protecting better. I do that with the mini-van V6, use Mobil1 and change it every 5-6k miles.

Last edited:
Rick Anderson said:
The other point about Synthetic, you can extend your oil changes because of the better quality, if you use Synthetic but change half as often, the price evens out, and overall its probably protecting better. I do that with the mini-van V6, use Mobil1 and change it every 5-6k miles.

Exactly :D

Ok Its been a while since I have change the oil on my rig, I have been driving my Ram lately. Now please remind me, is it 4 quarts or 5?

By the way, I use syn oil, and I love it...But keep it in mind, one you go Syn, you cant go back....

You absolutely can go back once you use Syn. If they were incompatible, there wouldn't be any blends on the market.

Unless you meant that once you use synthetic, you'll notice how superior it is and never want to use dino again. You're welcome to that opinion as I share it too :)

x*BIGASSALEX*j said:
Ok Its been a while since I have change the oil on my rig, I have been driving my Ram lately. Now please remind me, is it 4 quarts or 5?

It's 6 quarts for the 4.0 (at least it is in mine):callme:

I use Amsoil & love it, except limited places to purchase. You can almost go 25k miles before oil change or 1 year. My 99 cherokee w/190k runs a lot quieter and smoother, got 2 mpg better after changing all axles, trans, transfer case and motor. Can use any oil if you dont order the oil in time, but make sure you change it at 3k instead of 25k.

Back