• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Room behind headlights

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
Can anybody tell me how much room there is behind the headlights on the xj? Mine is a 94 and I'm looking to had some LED bulbs since I already have the h4 conversion. The bulbs are supposed to have a smaller rear than most LEDs and only require about 1.6 inches from the h4 lock plate to the rear. Hoping somebody can help me out as the sale ends today and I don't have my jeep with me. Thanks

it's pretty tight. the pair i tried werent even close.

best bet would be to take a 2" hole saw and go to town

I was wondering if that was an option lol. I guess I'll pull the trigger and if they don't fit I'll start cutting, just like everything else on my jeep lol. I did look at a standard h4 and from the lock plate to the base of the prongs was a little over and inch. The h4 plug will be moved as well so that should free up some room too:dunno:

Can anybody tell me how much room there is behind the headlights on the xj? Mine is a 94 and I'm looking to had some LED bulbs since I already have the h4 conversion. The bulbs are supposed to have a smaller rear than most LEDs and only require about 1.6 inches from the h4 lock plate to the rear. Hoping somebody can help me out as the sale ends today and I don't have my jeep with me. Thanks

Do those even work very well?

my buddy with a 2016 wrx put LEDs in his, and they look fine. but he spent $150 on his LEDs.

as you said, some housings work fine with some bulbs. other housings scatter and dazzle everyone, and then die after 10 hours. only real way to know is to use a combo that someone has already used, or to test it.

my buddy with a 2016 wrx put LEDs in his, and they look fine. but he spent $150 on his LEDs.

as you said, some housings work fine with some bulbs. other housings scatter and dazzle everyone, and then die after 10 hours. only real way to know is to use a combo that someone has already used, or to test it.

These are normally $175 for the pair but I caught them on sale. I have the hella E code housings, so hopefully the sharper cutoff will help out. The also have 2 year warranty, but I have some of their other products and I don't think I will ever need to use it

the cutoff isnt what really causes an issue. the issue is that the reflectors are designed to have the filament in a very specific position. if the LEDs are not in the correct spot, that will cause the headlight to throw light incorrectly.

only way to know if your combo works is to test it

the cutoff isnt what really causes an issue. the issue is that the reflectors are designed to have the filament in a very specific position. if the LEDs are not in the correct spot, that will cause the headlight to throw light incorrectly.

only way to know if your combo works is to test it

The bulb can be indexed to adjust the beam pattern. I'm sure I'll have to pull the housings multiple times to get them adjusted perfectly

Back