• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof wiring ??'s

Metal Head

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you running roof lights how are you routing your wiring? I wanna run maybe 3 front lights and 2 rear (may tie some larger lights into the reverse lights) on my roof rack but I obviously don't want to drill holes in the roof if I don't have too.

I drilled a hole.

I had the headliner out anyway, so I drilled a hole just inside the cap that snaps into the front of the factory roof rail. I put a rubber grommet in there and siliconed the heck out of it.

Then I ran the wires inside some of that plastic split loom and out one of the access holes in the factory rail up to the rack.

It's been about 6 months with no leaks.

Ive seen pictures of people running it into the door frame and pushing it behind the rubber trim. The wiring enters the car through that accordion thing where all the other door wiring goes, then up behind the dash.

I don't have any pictures of mine but I just ran mine between the gap of the hood and cowl, up the right pillar and to the roof rack. I used those square self-adhesive tie downs to run the split loom up the pillar. It works.

Ran my old set up through a hole in the roof and rtv'd it up. May I suggest to those of you putting lights onto the roof to use a trailer type connector somewhere in your outer wireing so that removal of the rack at some point does not require extensive unwireing. I use two point hookups on all my lights for quick disco.

Ran my old set up through a hole in the roof and rtv'd it up. May I suggest to those of you putting lights onto the roof to use a trailer type connector somewhere in your outer wireing so that removal of the rack at some point does not require extensive unwireing. I use two point hookups on all my lights for quick disco.

Good point. I did this on mine for that exact reason. Haven't had to use it yet but always plan ahead.

I ran mine out the back corner of the hood up the pillar. Put all wires into a wire loom then pull up the windshield trim just enough to run a couple zip ties to hold wires close to body. I run 2 sets of lights on my roof. I don't think it looks that bad, I'm not worried about it catching on stuff and I didn't have to make a hole in my roof.
I can post pictures if you would like to see what I'm talking about.

Cheap, effective and doesn't look to bad. Works for me.

167063_1676885158497_1128537855_31798872_1050569_n.jpg

163485_1676884878490_1128537855_31798870_4157757_n.jpg

Back