• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack

I've been studying on mine trying to decide where to put my spare. It won't go inside with the cage and tool box I have so my options are either on top, which I don't much like or on the rear which isn't much better. It's a 35" tire so the weight can be an issue. I'm 6'1' myself but the thought of heaving that sonofagun on the roof don't sound like fun. I had thought about adding a tire rack to my rear JCR bumper but it seems like I open my hatch several times while on the trail so a rear swing away doesn't sound appealing either. I need to do something, I'm sure Matt is tired of hauling it in his MJ bed. :D

I do like the look of your rack though and for a DD/wheeler every once in a while they are great. The built in light bar is great!!! I want one for my '99!!!

Yea I'm lucky I only need a 31 up there now. I have my stock 235 so I have something until I get a full size. Its not terrible to get up there but a 35 would be pretty bad. Its hard to say what to do in your case, but I think the swing out would be the best comprimise to retain a low COG.

i thought it was pressed metal?
oh well.

:roflmao::laugh2:

I guess I'll keep on lettin Matt haul it for me, as long as he will. When the kids get to where they don't want to go anymore, I guess I can put it inside some where.

I think a roof rack makes an XJ look better but sometimes looks don't work on the trail. Oh well...

Yea, I haven't even noticed it on the trails, it more trouble on the road for me. Its not noisy, I can just feel the extra wind resistance haha. Its all worth it though, its not like i got good gas milage to start with.

Back