• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack build

Where did you buy your tent from and what model did you go with?

Its a locally bought one from ebay. Basically an ARB II tent, made in the same factory as the ARB III ones but re-badged and sold a lot cheaper. With mine I got the tent, the annex with floor and a 2.5mx2.1m awning with a full mosquito net that zips on, all for less than the current model ARB price :)

Cheers
Steve

Here you go. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-RIPSTOP-.../120673656013?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item1c18b5dccd

I offered $1210 and it was accepted. No idea if that's cheaper then what you guys would normally pay but here the tent alone is around $1500 from ARB.

This is what I got, I'll be setting mine all up today.

Rooftoptent.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Checked the lower section for size, we dont bother pegging it out properly as we'd already stood around chatting for too long.

IMG_4183nonum.jpg

IMG_4185nonum.jpg

Looks like its about the right length though and a pretty good fit. It took me 4 minutes to do the main tent and probably another 3 or so for the bottom section, I didn't time that bit :)

Cheers
Steve

The roof rack is finished, it was too hot out to put all the bolts in but at least the paint got baked on nicely ;) You can see the other two holes on each mount that still need bolts, I'll put those in later this afternoon or in the morning when it's cooler.

IMG_4141nonum.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4135nonum.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

Cheers
Steve
SorryI left all the photos on....some how everything changed on my setup and I haven't figured it out yet! This is one very good looking XJ.....nicest and cleanest I have seen in a long time! I was thinking of going to a D2 but after seeing this i just can't.....I have had 3 XJ's and yours is just so nice.
So off topic....I have a cousin in Cairns....where are you? The back ground looks like you are in QLD.......?
Once again....super nice XJ and I love your RTT set up (what brand)...more pics please!
:yelclap::D

The RTT is a UpTopCampers brand which is just a re-badged ARB Simpson II, plenty of people selling them over here now and a lot cheaper than the ARB ones :)

I'm in Sydney, only 20km North of the City, a long way South of Cairns. The climate here is pretty mild though and my backdoor opens on to a National Park so plenty of ferns etc around the place, it was 39c here a couple of days ago, 46c is the hottest I've seen at home though!!!

I'm off to Cairns this September as part of my trip, its basically the jumping off sport before I head further North on and to the dirt. Cant wait, I've been to Cairns a few times and it a nice place but so humid.

Cheers
Steve

The RTT is a UpTopCampers brand which is just a re-badged ARB Simpson II, plenty of people selling them over here now and a lot cheaper than the ARB ones :)

I'm in Sydney, only 20km North of the City, a long way South of Cairns. The climate here is pretty mild though and my backdoor opens on to a National Park so plenty of ferns etc around the place, it was 39c here a couple of days ago, 46c is the hottest I've seen at home though!!!

I'm off to Cairns this September as part of my trip, its basically the jumping off sport before I head further North on and to the dirt. Cant wait, I've been to Cairns a few times and it a nice place but so humid.

Cheers
Steve
I'm jealous of your weather! I worked my way across the USA to Oregon on the Pacific....now I think I should have kept going west and south. To late now ...you folks aren't taking any new citizens w/o a lot of dollars. I love your country except for a few things like gun laws and some vehicle stuff.

Back