• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rollover switch...myth or reality??

After personally seeing a Rubicon rolled over, and having no problems starting it, then I would say its bull, I've never heard of it.

Edit: I read the other thread, I doubt they would have a button in the rear kickbox to allow you to reset the thing after rolling over should a switch be installed. To have this would mean they think that people are going to go and roll the thing over every other day. In which case they should have put a permanent kill switch that will kill the engine, and cause the person to buy another Jeep, thus generationg more revenue for them.

Last edited:
myth, ive seen coutless Tj's rollover and none had a rollover switch

my bronco had one you could reset. It shut the fuel pump off, aofcourse no gas no go. what suck is it would kick on when going down a bumpy road I'd be driving along and she would just die, it's sucked bad. I ended up rewiring it. Jeeps ain't got them, thank god!!!

Check your emissions sticker on the TJ. There should be a rollover/pressure valve by the tank. If I am not mistaken this is federally mandated on all newer vehicles.

Such things do exist - but I'm not sure if they're on Jeeps or not. My MIL had a 1993 Sable that had one - had a 5-gallon water jug rolling around in the trunk that managed to trip the thing.

It usually cuts off the fuel pump, helping to contain the fuel (assuming the tank isn't ruptured.) It can usually be reset - because it's possible for it to be tripped accidentally (like with the water jug.)

For the "rollover/pressure valve," tho, that's more of a vent that closes off when the tank is inverted than anything else. It's still going to help contain fuel - but it keeps it from getting into the EVAP system. It doesn't have anything to do with the fuel pump.

The TJ will kill the pump in a rollover, they run for about 10 seconds. I think it's something in the fuel pump but not sure. Nothing to reset though, we rolled one of ours and have had a few at paragon which we flipped back over and other than smoking a couple of minutes they required no reset of anything.

Fords have them they are safty shock switches. If you hit something then a switch is knocked loose and shuts off the fuel pump. I think that they are Gov regulation on all vechiles after 84 IIRC

inertia switches were used for vehicles that did not have ECU controled circuits for the fuel pump. The pump was turned on and off with a relay controled by the key and thus would continue running in the event of an accident. If the fuel line was ruptured, you could add 20 gallons of fuel to a fire in short order. To avoid this, the switch was installed to shut down the pump if a sudden change in direction occurred.

Jeeps use a crank sensor to tell the ECU that the engine is turning (and demonstrate need for fuel) and thus would shut the pump circuit off when the engine stalled (from no gas) anyway.

unquestionably a myth

you are thinking of a fuel pump inertia switch which kills the fuel pump if a certain decelleration is met. Jeep did not use the inertia switch in any of their vehicles though. check all your sensors.

Good info Shorty.

there is even one on the battery tray. we noticed it on a few tj and yj workin at the neighbors house. of course its more like a pressure switch under the battery.

robjohns said:
there is even one on the battery tray. we noticed it on a few tj and yj workin at the neighbors house. of course its more like a pressure switch under the battery.

The one under the battery is a temperature switch.

The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.​

McQue said:
The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.​

wel thats pretty damn cool!

Back