• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky Road Steprails (Just Finished)

Yes, I think it's an issue with the step side ones. I have them so I can load my roof rack.

I have the same four dimples in my quarters as well....

bburge

bburge said:
Yes, I think it's an issue with the step side ones. I have them so I can load my roof rack.

I have the same four dimples in my quarters as well....

bburge

just curious but anyone who has the steprails and have had problems; have you talked to RRO about it? and if so what did they say?

also has anyone added some more structuring to the step rails, such as a few more pieces of square tube or something of the like, becuase that would be very helpful for some guys...

Well CRAP! I don't even want to look inside the pinch seam rail now. If they are there I would feel really stupid... especially after the headache of measuring all those holes.

The guy I ordered from at RRO actually warned me about the possibility of the rails pushing up into the rockers. I don't see how it wouldn't if you landed hard enough. I'm not so much worried about the dents in the bottom of the rockers... I just wanted a rail that stuck out far enough keep my doors off of trees, rocks and stumps. As long as I can still open the doors, a little rocker denting is not so bad.

HarveOut-

87CherokeeChief said:
just curious but anyone who has the steprails and have had problems; have you talked to RRO about it? and if so what did they say?

also has anyone added some more structuring to the step rails, such as a few more pieces of square tube or something of the like, becuase that would be very helpful for some guys...

Here is what i mean by adding some support, just simple short pieces of square tube welded in...
RROsteps.bmp

(This is CaptainRon's pic BTW, hope you dont mind Ron)

sorry bout the small pic but i think you get the idea.

i dont see how support there will help. now one or two more giong to the frame rail would be nice. something i might do in the future.

looking at it again it seems like his twisted up and actually bent. mine dont seem to have that problem

Ramsey said:
i dont see how support there will help. now one or two more giong to the frame rail would be nice. something i might do in the future.

looking at it again it seems like his twisted up and actually bent. mine dont seem to have that problem

just throwing out an idea, i would actually have to look at the rails to see what would work. and yes i think they did bend....seems to be a poor design what else can i say?

actually i have been thinking about adding some tubing onto the outside of mine(non step) to add a step and keep rocks away from the doors.

As Basalt51 said, I didn't slam down on them at all - it was all due to leverage. Now I HAVE came down on them hard at other times and they did not bend up but I wasn't leaning over onto them as much so there wasn't as much leverage involved. Does that make sense? Thanks Basalt for posting those pics.

Actually I have also been thinking about reinforcing them but not sure if it will help or not. Something more along the lines of this (yellow lines):

RROsteps.jpg

Or possibly adding one length of square tube running the entire length between the legs to the frame and directly under the rocker. Basalt51, what do you think about either of these ideas?

Last edited:
EricsXJ said:
Actually I have also been thinking about reinforcing them but not sure if it will help or not. Something more along the lines of this (yellow lines):

RROsteps.jpg

Or possibly adding one length of square tube running the entire length between the legs to the frame and directly under the rocker. Basalt51, what do you think about either of these ideas?
The guy that built my step-rails used RROs basic concept, and we noticed they both have a tendency to flex up into the body although the steps do their job of protecting the doors. His newer version uses more bracing, along the lines of what you indicate in the pic...that reminds me I need to drive cross-state and see if he'll redo mine as well.

If you've got kids, watch out - it takes them only nanoseconds to realize the step-rails are a great way to go straight to the roof! :laugh3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krh9848
I spent about an hour trying to figure how to align the bolt holes then found the templates inside the 1 inch tube like the others stated. I would probably venture to say they were stashed inside there on yours as well.

Quote: bgcntry72
I was just reading the post again, and noticed that no 'others' mentioned this.
Am I missing something?

Go back to the first page and read the 1st & 4th messages and then your own reply's to this!(5th message) Are you sure you read all of the posts again?

Last edited:
for those looking for rails that act as steps and stick out far enough to pivot with (past flares and door handles) might I suggest AJ's http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/
Better, sturdier design and you can customize them when you order. Great prices and customer service also.

y2kxj said:
for those looking for rails that act as steps and stick out far enough to pivot with (past flares and door handles) might I suggest AJ's http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/
Better, sturdier design and you can customize them when you order. Great prices and customer service also.
Unfortunatly he just recently went out of business.

For those who dont know, Detour's unibody stiffy system with slyderz can
be ordered to any offset if a customer feels they need to stick out further.
They no longer fit in thier shipping boxes, but thier wrapped up good to ship.
One also needs to remember this is a system, not just rails.
www.Detoursusa.com

Happy Trails!
:us:

87CherokeeChief said:
Here is what i mean by adding some support, just simple short pieces of square tube welded in...
(This is CaptainRon's pic BTW, hope you dont mind Ron)
sorry bout the small pic but i think you get the idea.

No Problem on the pic, and rather than start over, I was thinking much the same thing.

I think I'm going to add 2 additional cross braces all the way over to the frame rails, and add another tube on the other side of the pinch seam. Pinch the seam, so to speak, and thru bolt both.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I think I'm going to add 2 additional cross braces all the way over to the frame rails, and add another tube on the other side of the pinch seam. Pinch the seam, so to speak, and thru bolt both.-ron

I'm not sure the braces to the frame rail are needed, but the additional piece running the length of the rockers is something I think would help a LOT.

I've been wanting to do that to mine.

bburge

Back