• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky Road Outfitters?

I am used to having really bad luck after surviving a couple periods in my life but, we really need to have a list of "Who not to buy from!" They also should be encouraged to join the forum like "JCR" off road has done. Maybe some rough times and some owners are working on it but, as they are now.......
thumbsdown.gif

F9K9 said:
I am used to having really bad luck after surviving a couple periods in my life but, we really need to have a list of "Who not to buy from!" They also should be encouraged to join the forum like "JCR" off road has done. Maybe some rough times and some owners are working on it but, as they are now.......
thumbsdown.gif

They are to arrogant to join the forum. I told the guy I was not gonna do business with them and his reply was "oh that's nice, it's not like we dont a few million in sales per year. you have been blocked from out system so you can't buy from us anyways"

Never would I recomend buying from them or ever speak of them in a good way...

I'm going to walk away from this thread with 3 things.

1. Don't give Rocky Road Outfitters any of my money.
2. Don't come on an XJ forum asking questions about a ZJ
3. Do a little research before questioning anyone products.

I'm pretty sure I already knew 2 of these things. :peace:

*edit* I forgot to add that I also love Jill Kelly.

MisterFubar said:
I'm going to walk away from this thread with 3 things.

1. Don't give Rocky Road Outfitters any of my money.
2. Don't come on an XJ forum asking questions about a ZJ
3. Do a little research before questioning anyone products.

I'm pretty sure I already knew 2 of these things. :peace:

*edit* I forgot to add that I also love Jill Kelly.

Um, why would you not ask questions about a ZJ? This is an XJ thread, yes, but at the same time, we as XJ'ers use ZJ parts to upgrade out XJ's since they are almost identical if not better.
I started this whole thread because of their horrible customer service and mis-information on their products and lack of information from the company's techs. I twas all in relation to using one of their ZJ kits for my XJ.
Rocky Road is just a terrible place when it comes to customer service, shipping, and information on the stuff they sell, so in other words, they fail at being a good company to do business with.

selarep said:
Um, why would you not ask questions about a ZJ? This is an XJ thread, yes, but at the same time, we as XJ'ers use ZJ parts to upgrade out XJ's since they are almost identical if not better

I don't have a problem with it, but it seems a few people did... So I'm making a mental note to take any ZJ questions I might have to another forum.

My lessons learned weren't from your original post but from some of the friendly responses you got.

MisterFubar said:
I don't have a problem with it, but it seems a few people did... So I'm making a mental note to take any ZJ questions I might have to another forum.

My lessons learned weren't from your original post but from some of the friendly responses you got.

Don't listen to XJBLUE, this is a damn XJ tech thread and guess what, you can ask anydamnthing you want, it doesnt matter since it was dealing with a XJ. the ZJ kit on an XJ is awesome, XJBLUE must work for the company or something, he lives in Utah so I am assuming so. He was an ass about how he replied to my thread. Like I said, I contacted the SELLER who should have known about the products THEY are selling. But instead I just got a bunch off bull$hit replies from RRO.

Don't be scared to ask ZJ or TJ or any question you want, as long as its related to an ZJ you should be fine. and if its not then just take it to the "Other Tech" forum.

This is my first post... but after a quick search and a little light reading...

it looks as if though this thread saved me of 800$ of bad stuff, and headaches...

thanks.

k j said:

I like in his blurb he talks about how awful long arms are for a DD. How you'll curse the day you got them on the highway. Well I have had LA's for 4+ years and I DD my XJ and haven't had a single issue. Seems to me he just doesn't want the hassle of making his own kit or selling someone else's LA's.

If it was myself I would piece it together on my own. I did just that over 8 years ago and it kept me content for the most part of that time.

I've done business with RRO twice now. The first time, no problems. I ordered a set of springs and their BPE's. They were in stock and shipped quickly.
Second time, I ordered the 5" trailblazer kit, and thats when their weaknesses came out. I don't care it didn't come with control arms (I'm fabbing my own solution), but a new set of u-bolts should have been included. I'm running the kit without the half inch "blocks" (it's a .5" sheet of steel with a hole in it) and without my front isolators. It took from the 26th of Nov untill the 9th of Jan to get all of the components in the kit. I got a shipping notice within a day or two. No other communication. When the shipment arrived it was incomplete, no springs and no front shocks. There was simply a note on my invoice saying the rest of the kit would ship as soon as they got new inventory. I called and was told the shocks would ship out the next day, and they did. The springs were still waiting to be sent to them from ARB, and they actually expected the shipment in the next couple days. After that when I called I was told they expected the shipment to show up "tomorrow." After a week of tomorrows I got 3 or 4 days of "today." Then when they finally got their shipment, I was told I was in the middle of the backorders and the orders would be fullfilled in the order received. Nothing new there, but to think there were others waiting much longer. My order was then sent out within 1-2 business days.

I understand things like this happen, but some better customer service and communication would go a long way to prevent a lot of angry customers. An e-mail informing of out of stock items in my order could have been all that was required. My complaint here does not fully display their lack of customer service.

If I ever order from them again, which will be unlikely, it will be under these 2 conditions:
1- the part is not available from anyone else at a reasonable price
2- I've called to insure they have the item in stock

I also had less than satisfactory exprerience with RRO.
  1. Long wait for parts to ship.
  2. Wrong parts shipped.
  3. Duplicate parts shipped.
  4. Mulitiple phone calls and emails to attempt correction.
  5. Not very helpful over the phone.
  6. I will avoid them from now on. So much that I am keeping some duplicate parts (that were charged to my credit card) just to avoid dealing with them anymore.
I would mention that I have purchased several times from Rusty's and have had good expreience so far with them.

KD
San Antonio

I ordered their 1.5" BB and they sent me 3" of spacers (at no extra charge, score) but the BPEs didn't fit right. I called to see what they were gonna do to fix the problem. He told me I was wrong, of course they fit just fine, they're universal. If I still wanna send them back, I can pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee. The shackles are pretty beefy, but the service sucks and I'll never deal with them again.

BlackSport96 said:
I ordered their 1.5" BB and they sent me 3" of spacers (at no extra charge, score) but the BPEs didn't fit right. I called to see what they were gonna do to fix the problem. He told me I was wrong, of course they fit just fine, they're universal. If I still wanna send them back, I can pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee. The shackles are pretty beefy, but the service sucks and I'll never deal with them again.
I am really suprised about the problems people are having with the CS! I know from experience that I have received the wrong part or some defected part but never had a problem with them saying I was wrong and didn't know what I was talking about!
I dealt with them a long time ago, maybe when they were a smaller company but I cant understand why a business would treat anyone this way. I hope they are reading all these posts 'cause they have a serious problem on their hands.
They are inexpensive because most of the kits are basic and there website explains what you get and why.

Rocky Road Outfitters (RRO) sold me the wrong shocks which do not even
fit
their bar pin eliminators(BPE). RRO made it prohibitively expensive for
me
to attempt to return the shocks.

By telephone, I ordered Bar Pin Eliminators (BPE) and a pair of front
shocks
(Brand: Old Man Emu (OME)) from Rocky Road Outfitters (RRO). In the
phone
call, I asked the salesperson, Matt, several times to verify that the
shocks
had eyes on the bottom to bolt to the BPE's. RRO said the shocks had the
eyes on the bottom to bolt to the BPE's, both of which they were selling
to
me. The salesperson put me on hole for a few minutes, while he checked
the
stock room to verify that the shocks were in-stock. He said the shocks
were
in stock.

Soon after I received the box containing the BPE's and the pair of front
shocks, I examined the shocks to find out that the shocks did not have
the
eyes at the bottom. I immediately called RRO, to tell that they sent me
the
wrong shocks which did not directly bolt to the BPE's. The salesperson
attempted to place the blame on ARB and me. The salesperson lied and
said
that I called him asking for a specific part #. (Not true. When I
called
and placed the order, I only had an idea of a few older part numbers of
some
shocks that were used on various other Jeeps.)

RRO refused to take any responsibility for their mistake. Moreover, RRO
made
it prohibitively expensive for me to return the shocks. RRO said I had
to
pay the return shipping nor would I be refunded any of my original
shipping
costs. (RRO said they "Would waive the 15% restocking fee" That is no
skin
off their back.)

A customer can not depend on RRO to suggest or sell the correct parts.
RRO
does not add any value to Old Man Emu products. You might as well
purchase
directly from ARB, off Amazon.com, or someone else. I will never again
do
business with RRO.

Orson P. Yancey
Newmarket, NH

True, but it's too bad things like that happen. Each of us has preferred vendors, and others that we don't do business with because they are either slow, unreliable, or we just had that "One" experience that cheesed us off.

I've done business with Rocky Road, mainly because they are one of a few vendors which sell Sami parts, but that was some time ago. ~Ron

Back