• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rock rails

If properly supported on the pinch seam the framerail mounts dont see alot of loading.But,that being said,I tied my new set into every bolt hole possible.7- 1/4" bolts on the pinch seam,3- 1/4".2-1/2",2-7/16",1-14mm,and 1-3/4" on the frame side.More pics at:
http://hometown.aol.com/rpayne9421/page8.html
slider%2001.jpg

gorman said:
Must admit, I didn't even think of sleeving it, but I do see how it will be more sturdy. The way it is currently I'd say is stronger than self tapping screws a lot of sliders are mounted to the frame rails with and those seem to hold up okay.

Some time soon I need to weld up another set of sliders for a friend - in doing that I'll remove mine to get the measurements again. That will be a good time to do the sleeving. Thanks for the tip on how to do the sleeving!

This is one reason I went with Rock Lizard's--they provide crush sleeves for the uniframe (we tacked them in, after drilling the holes) and the pinch seam rail is bolted through instead of relying on self-tappers. I also liked the diagonal braces like the poster above has added to his, ala Rock Lizard. Shame they aren't making them anymore. No offense to JCR--their products are awesome as well.

RCP Phx said:
If properly supported on the pinch seam the framerail mounts dont see alot of loading.
Oh yes they do :D when you fall of one ledge and onto another and land on the rock rail there is a lot of load :D

mecompco said:
This is one reason I went with Rock Lizard's--they provide crush sleeves for the uniframe (we tacked them in, after drilling the holes) and the pinch seam rail is bolted through instead of relying on self-tappers. I also liked the diagonal braces like the poster above has added to his, ala Rock Lizard. Shame they aren't making them anymore. No offense to JCR--their products are awesome as well.

For the record:
JCR's pinch seam mounting uses bolts/nuts, Not self tappers.
Self threading bolts are used in the frame rail, however.

I have beat the tar out of my JCR Stage 2's and they have held up great.

Hale

I think generally where self tappers are used, they are used on the frame rails and not on the pinch seam - most designs use proper bolts on the pinch seam - all the AJs, JCRs, Rocklizards, etc. at least.

Im partial to AJs myself.

For some reason I land on my Super rails a lot, and they have handled it without a problem. They have had almost the entire weight of the Jeep on them, and no bending, or breaking of any kind.

I went with the AJ super rails. Great work. Used them the first time I had them out. Reason I went with AJ over JCR is that the pinch rail mount is an angle iron piece with it mounted so that the rockers have a wide part of the angle sitting against the rocker to distribute the load better instead of a piece of flat stock with the narrow edge hitting the rocker. The more you can distribute the weight over a wider area, the stronger it will be. I didn't like the idea of a 3/16" (or 1/4") edge pushing on the bottom of the rock. With the 1" wide part, it puts less stress on the rocker.

My .02 worth.

whats done with the pinch seam? do guys just put a hole through it is there any special prep to be done, i dont know maybe its just a mental thing of mine to want to try to not mess with the pinch seam. im designing my own (since i get to use autocad/inventor at work) and my friend will be fabbing them.

97XJ2 said:
whats done with the pinch seam? do guys just put a hole through it is there any special prep to be done, i dont know maybe its just a mental thing of mine to want to try to not mess with the pinch seam. im designing my own (since i get to use autocad/inventor at work) and my friend will be fabbing them.

Just drill a hole through the pinch seam. All quality rails will have some sort of pinch seam attachment. Most will be attached with a bolt through it.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Just drill a hole through the pinch seam. All quality rails will have some sort of pinch seam attachment. Most will be attached with a bolt through it.

Hale
don't forget the primer and paint before you put the bolts through, for those living in the rust belt.

87manche said:
don't forget the primer and paint before you put the bolts through, for those living in the rust belt.

Absosmurfly correct.

Back