• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ring and pinion set up pattern

Pinion too deep

Ok, what is it you see that says too deep? Is it the long straight line at gear root that is the issue?

We tried several pattern runs, and got the first ones with high pinion, pattern went off the top of the teeth, then finally got it lower to possibly acceptable, but decided to try lower still. we took another pattern after adding .010 inch shims under pinnion, and the pattern looked deeper, then tried another with .010 inch more shims and that is the one posted.
So this pattern posted is 0.020 inch deeper than the first that we though might be acceptable.
I will try to post the prior patterns to look at, stay tuned

Thank you!

Ok, here I have reposted three pairs of photos, the first is our current pattern, the second pair is with 0.010 inch less shims than the first, the last pair is with 0.020 inch less shims than the first.

How is the progression of the pattern over these three different shim thicknesses?

Thank You!

Is this a D30? What backlash where those pics taken at(better pics please)?

Is this a D30? What backlash where those pics taken at(better pics please)?

It is a front Dana 30 high pinion axle with ARB locker 4.1 ratio. We have kept the backlash around 0.0065 inch by changing the diff carrier shims as we moved the pinion closer towards the ring gear as listed below. To maintain the backlash we have been moving shims from ring side to other side of carrier.

The most recent pattern (F) was run with no shims on ring side of carrier. shims on pinion side of pinion shaft were 0.0892 inch

The pattern prior (E) to that had 0.0071 inch total shims on ring side of carrier, shims on pinion side of pinion shaft were 0.0796 inch

the pattern prior (D) to that had 0.0122 inch total shims on ring side of carrier, shims on pinion side of pinion shaft were 0.0692 inch.

Too Deep...

To much backlash for a D30, I like to stay between .006" - .008". Are you applying pressure(radial) on the ring gear when you pull a pattern?

Back