• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RIGID FbW winch mount bumper

diabloxj said:
their rear bumpers look GREAT. keep the factory lines and look very storng. i'm buying their steering box brace best price i have found yet !!!

You got any inf. on that steering box brace? I don't see it on their site. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
You got any inf. on that steering box brace? I don't see it on their site. Jeff

I am interested in additional info on the steering box brace also. Is it a plate system for the box mounting or a brace (tube and clamp) type?

Jerry

I didn't know he sold a separate steering box brace but the brace is incorporated into the bumper mounting system. Maybe he just sells the plate that goes along the outside driver's side "frame rail".

The brace, which is normally part of any bumper order except the Ltd model, can also be had sepparately. Info is found at

http://rigidco.com/bumper_mounting_system.htm

Terry indicated to me that JeepSpeed guys were using the brace only(two frame plates and a bulkhead plate under the radiator), because for a while the rules required stock bumpers, and the brace allowed them to tie the front end together as if a super stout bumper had been installed. He has also told me that the brace cen be ordered initially, and then the bumper can be purchased later, when the budget permits.

armchairkrawler said:
The brace, which is normally part of any bumper order except the Ltd model, can also be had sepparately. Info is found at

http://rigidco.com/bumper_mounting_system.htm

Terry indicated to me that JeepSpeed guys were using the brace only(two frame plates and a bulkhead plate under the radiator), because for a while the rules required stock bumpers, and the brace allowed them to tie the front end together as if a super stout bumper had been installed. He has also told me that the brace cen be ordered initially, and then the bumper can be purchased later, when the budget permits.

So,if I understand correctly.....The inside of the frame steering box mount stays in stock configuration?

Jerry

Yes. Terry's design incorporates the C-ROK style reinforcing plate into the bumper mounting plate that is bolted along each frame rail. Those plates are bolted through existing holes in the frame rail, and the bolts which hold the steering box to the inside of the frame rail now also pass through the bumper mounting plate, which is 3/16", I believe.

On most other bumper mounting systems, the bracket used was similar to the Mopar tow-hook bracket package, no longer made. Those brackets only had the bare minimum of plate to surround the additional bolt holes, and actually avoided the bolts which hold the steering box in place.

The bulkhead plate ties the left and right frame reinforcing plates together, sharing any loads one rail sees with the other side. The simpler steering box braces(rusty's, jks(?), etc.), which clamp around the spline output of the box, above the pitman arm, and tie to the opposite frame rail have been shown to cause the steering box to pivot about that clamp at the bottom of the box, resulting in cracks in the horizontal(bottom) portion of the frame rail. Terry's plates would stiffen the whole rail with the tie-in to the bulkhead plate, lowering the susceptability to the twisting force applied to the frame rail by the steering box trying to turn, say 33" to 37" tires, especially at slow speeds.

Terry's designs not only result in improved impact protection to the vehicle itself, but increase the unibody's ability to resist the effects of added leverage on it from larger tires, lowering the likelyhood of death wobble.

A quick read through of the page on his design philosophy will help understanding.

Back