• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rhinoline, herculine? Who is happy with the interior w/o carpet?

I have an 88 and am looking to do my floor in spring, but where should I get these heat shields? I have also heard of some people wrapping their whole exhaust in header wrap to keep the heat down... what do you guys think of that instead of the shield?

Shannon

I think the header wrap is a good idea. I have been leaning towards the stuff in this link:

http://www.hytechsales.com/

It is ceramic beads that was developed to reduce heat transfer for the space shuttle. You can buy the beads in bulk and add to paint and (I am hoping) bedliner. The only issue is that if you add a substantial amount to the paint and/or bedliner you will need to thin these out before spraying. I figure that I will paint the tunnel area underneath and bedline everything. I just need to get an answer as to if I can bedline over the stuck-on heatshields.

I looked at the ebay stuff. I will call them today and see what they have to say about the prep needed.

SeanP

SeanP said:
I think the header wrap is a good idea. I have been leaning towards the stuff in this link:

http://www.hytechsales.com/

The only issue is that if you add a substantial amount to the paint and/or bedliner you will need to thin these out before spraying. .

SeanP

Maybe you could mix it in some paint and paint it on then roll the bedliner on over it?

Shannon

SeanP said:
I have three of the reflective stick on shields on the interior that came from the factory. They are a PITA to remove (I had to grind down some to prep for welding the floor). Can I not just spray over these? Yes, I have a compressor and the spray gun is like $20.

SeanP

I do not believe that you can use the Herc over them. I wouldn't do it. But to be absolutely sure you could contact the Herculiner company and ask them. I'm sure that they must have a tech line or internet site if you search for it.

SeanP said:
I have three of the reflective stick on shields on the interior that came from the factory. They are a PITA to remove (I had to grind down some to prep for welding the floor). Can I not just spray over these? Yes, I have a compressor and the spray gun is like $20.

SeanP

I did put Herculiner over the heat shields on my 98. I havent noticed any bad effects from this, and I did it over a year ago. I did try to scratch them up pretty good and make sure they were clean before I started with the coating. Make sure you get it down thick where your feet will be moving to hit the pedals (and/or use a floor mat), as my right heel wore through the coating, and that was with three layers. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome, but I get the "this is so loud" complaints, and you can really feel the heat coming through the tunnel on highway trips of any duration.

Pat

Pat said:
I did put Herculiner over the heat shields on my 98. I havent noticed any bad effects from this, and I did it over a year ago. I did try to scratch them up pretty good and make sure they were clean before I started with the coating. Make sure you get it down thick where your feet will be moving to hit the pedals (and/or use a floor mat), as my right heel wore through the coating, and that was with three layers. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome, but I get the "this is so loud" complaints, and you can really feel the heat coming through the tunnel on highway trips of any duration.

Pat

cool, thanks for the reply. Summit sells the 12x24 reflective adhesive sheets. I think I will get a couple of these and do the underside of the tunnel and above the cat on the underside. SUmmit also sells some different wraps for the exhaust. I will do this too on the collector pipe back to the cat.

SeanP

Wow...lotta ideas here. Tell you what I did and you can take it our leave it. I used some HVAC sheet metal over the cat, and some reflective heat mat from Summit over the muffler. It does still get warm, but not so bad i cant take it....the wife actully likes it in the Winter (keeps her feet toasty). I see allot of different coatings metioned here, I will say this. I have used Rhino, and Durabak. Rhino is hands done the toughest sht I have ever seen in a coating.....period. It ha been in my Jeep for 8+years...and when clean...look brand new, NO wear piont from my heal, NO bubbles, nothing. The Durabak is OK..but very rough...I would not want it or anything like it on a floor. Whatever you do...do not coat over the factory heat shield inside....the strong point of all these coatings is that they leave no room for moisture to collect and rust to start, if you coat that heat shield it will be like putting sponge in a plastic bag.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Rev

SeanP said:
Thanks for the post. Did you have to do much prep work before the herculiner went on. I might get some more of those adhesive heat barriers and put them on the inside and underside. Can you herculine over these?

SeanP

I herculined my xj if you want to see it next time we have a meeting or run. I have herculined 2 xj's & 3 yj's and think the stuff is great. I got a gallon on sale at Pep Boys off of Folsom Blvd in Rancho for $80. I still have about 1/4 to 1/8 gallon left for touch up etc. You get a brillo type pad, 1 roller, 1 brush in the kit. You will need a paint roller pan & maybe another brush for the 2nd coat. I really like that I can hose out my interior if I need to. I hate carpet in anything that will see excess water like an off-roader. You'd be surprised how water can pool up and rust out your floor. My 91' xj had a little rust on the passenger side in between the floor and the trans hump. Tear out the carpet and herculine it, then you don't have to worry about rust slowly eating it.

I herculined mine in November after I took it for an extended swiim in a rancid mud hole. I put Dynamat down first to help with the noise and it seems to have helped judging from what I've read here from people that have put down only herculiner. So far it's been pretty rugged, but time will tell.

As far as heat goes I bought a couple of heat shields from the local Jeep dealer for $15 or $16 a piece and put them underneath between the body and exhaust and it's helped a lot.

The XJ that I did this to is a 1994 and had no factory heatshield, but my other XJ, a 2001, does have them underneath, so they're a factory item.

Actualy you should check this company out, after a friend of mine told me about the test I had to see for myself, it's the same material that is used on the Nasa space shuttles. http://www.line-x.com/ the man sprayed an empty coke can and I was unable to crush it with my hands or by stepping on it(dries 15 min to the touch), then for the mother of all test let us hit his truck bed with a 5lb sledge hammer, and yes as hard as I could swing it, with only a small scuff to show after about 5 hard whacks (scuff was hardly noticeable). Price to spray my whole xj (inside and out) $700. I'm sold on this and think everyone should atleast check it out, or stop by thier local Line-x dealer for some crushing bashing fun!

Haggard said:
i bought the hytech additive today.. i'll take pics once i mix it with durabak and keep y'all updated :D

Cool. I have read that you need to thin out your liner/paint when using those beads. Let us know what you thin the durabak with.

SeanP

BobCSmith said:
Has anyone tried Dynamat Extreme as a heat shield on the floor of the XJ?

Yes and no. In an earlier post on this thread I mentioned that I put Dynamat Extreme over the entire floor prior to using Herculiner. I did it for accustic reasons, but I believe that it has helped with heat as well. When I pulled up my carpet I found a place located where it terminates at the rear seat on the right side of the transmission tunnel where the mat underneath was cinged. Since then I put my hand back there periodically, and while it's still hotter than the floor it's not unbearable to keep my hand there. Of course the hotest day that we've had here so far since I installed it was about 80 degrees, so I'll see what happens this summer, but I'm still putting 2001 factory heat shields underneath, both over the muffler and the cat. I picked up mine at the local Jeep dealer for about $15 or $16 dollars a piece.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
but I'm still putting 2001 factory heat shields underneath, both over the muffler and the cat. I picked up mine at the local Jeep dealer for about $15 or $16 dollars a piece.Robert

Is the 2001 heat shield a wrap, stick on. or bolt on? Is it fairly easy to install?

It's a bolt on and I think that it has 5 bolts. What I did, and there might be an easier way but I'm famous for finding that out later, is put the heat shield where I want it under the Jeep and then drill and mount using self tapping screws. Then I unscrewed it, went inside, increase the hole size a bit, and put bolts through them. Stuck a wrench and something to jam it against on the 1st bolt, went underneath, put the shield back in place and attached a nut with washers on both ends of course and tightened it place. Then I repeated this with the other 4 bolts. I did this by myself due to the time of night that I got the urge to work on it, but if you've got someone to help there's a lot less going back and forth from under to inside. Even with that it only took an hour to get both shields in place.

One sidenote, if you happen to be installing a new exhuast system you can do it while the old one is out so that you can get to the bolts easier. For a moment when I was doing this I thought about just using self tapping screws, but you wind up with the pointy part sticking up through the floor!

Robert

Back