• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RHD

Anyone have a stock right hand drive any negatives to them?

Take a look at this thread - there was some commentary about the practicalities of living with an RHD vehicle in an LHD country (or vice-versa) a few days ago.

Parts availability is generally OK, but some RHD components can be more expensive than their LHD counterparts here. Can't remember specifics as I've never had to order them, but have noticed that this generally holds true.

Find out why this one is RHD; if it's here and not LHD, there's a reason why it was ordered that way. If it's ex-Postal Service, it's done a lot of start-stop driving, even with only 82,000 on the clock - and that's hard on any vehicle. Not saying that to discourage you, but you may want to take it into consideration.

Remember that some stuff is very different, the AC compressor is where the idler pulley is on 96-up LHD, the PS pump is on the other side, etc etc. Most common wear items (TREs, drag link, etc) can be purchased new pretty easily.

One interesting piece of trivia that can come in handy is that the heater core hoses apparently go very close to the CPS on an RHD XJ. Found this out when one guy on here was having difficulties with his CPS far above and beyond what most people do, it was a 96 or earlier XJ so it had an HCV. Turning off the heat resulted in the problem going away. None of the usual tech nerds, including me, could figure it out till he mentioned that the heater hoses went very close to the CPS, since none of us had spent much time under the hood of an RHD XJ it didn't even come to mind.

nothing wrong with RHD thats all we have here in Australia heheheeheheheheh

it does at times get a little confusing when ordering parts for us from international suppliers, thankfully most are very happy to work with us

nothing wrong with RHD thats all we have here in Australia heheheeheheheheh

it does at times get a little confusing when ordering parts for us from international suppliers, thankfully most are very happy to work with us

Why DO you drive on the "wrong" side of the road?

Something about swords?

Same reason all of England's former colonies do.

Though Japan is quite the odd anomaly in that regard.

I wonder if the OP ever decided for or against the XJ that brought all of this up. He's just sort of disappeared.

Why DO you drive on the "wrong" side of the road?

Something about swords?

The way I heard it, it has to do with driving clockwise around a racetrack, and then around that most mis-understood of all intersections, the 'roundabout', or traffic circle. Seems that back in olden times (before pantyhose, Joe), there was concern about blood being pulled away from the heart, due to centrifugal force, if you were to turn left too much. Now, I think it's just to be different....

Back