• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing idiot lights with gauges

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 XJ that's about as basic as you can get, 4WD, but no power windows, locks, etc.

The issue is that it has idiot lights, no gauges except the speedometer and a fuel gauge where the tachometer would be located.

Can I buy the panel with the gauges and swap it out, or is there a lot more to it than that? I'd love to have gauges so that I can actually see what's going on before things explode.

I have a 1994 XJ that's about as basic as you can get, 4WD, but no power windows, locks, etc.

The issue is that it has idiot lights, no gauges except the speedometer and a fuel gauge where the tachometer would be located.

Can I buy the panel with the gauges and swap it out, or is there a lot more to it than that? I'd love to have gauges so that I can actually see what's going on before things explode.
one thing i would do, is consider adding an LED to the circuit for the alternator light, and add it under your hood or cowl so you can see from the driver's seat. and wire in a resistor so that in case the LED or light fails, the system senses the resistance of what it thinks is a good bulb and lets the alternator work as usual. on my 1989MJ if you lost the alt light, you lose charging.i did not want to get into that old dash just to replace one tiny bulb. so i cut that wire and added a 194 bulb and holder, and soldered in parallel a resistor. much easier to get under the hood to replace a bulb than the dash. you also could locate the LED/resistor under the dash where it is much easier to get to. my intentions were to fix my current alternator issues, and make sure i never had to again due to any Murphy's Law nonsense. anyways, food for thought .

i suppose you can get an LED bulb from www.superbrightleds.com and bypass all that stuff i just wrote. they can also get all the dash cluster lights in LEDs .so you never have to revisit the cluster for lighting issues. they also have the LEDs in colors for the dash.

Thank you all. That sounds like an easy fix.

It's about time that I found something that I want to change that's simple! :)

I did the swap on my '96 15 years ago and have never had an issue. I think my cluster came out of a '94. Last year I had to change my oil pressure sending unit as the dealer part went toes up. I bought a replacement from the auto parts store and seems to work like the factory one did. Bulbs are original, no LEDs.

None of my bulbs have burned out, so I can not comment on the '89 console alternator bulb going out effecting the alternator charging the battery. The new cluster will have a volt meter.

Tom

Do not use parts store sending units.... they're very inaccurate.

Agree with this especially about the coolant sensor, and the aftermarket oil pressure sending units tends to leak. I bought parts stores sensors when doing this swap and ended up throwing both of them in the trash can and replaced them with OEM anyway.

Agree with this especially about the coolant sensor, and the aftermarket oil pressure sending units tends to leak. I bought parts stores sensors when doing this swap and ended up throwing both of them in the trash can and replaced them with OEM anyway.

Never had a aftermarket oil pressure sensor last. Actually keep a couple of oem oil sensors in my parts box. My older XJ used to go through one every so often. Guess it gunked it up or the additive did.

Pretty sure you'll need to match the number of cyl. I've done the same swap and had no problems 6cyl to 6cyl cluster swap

poop on a stick.......... that's the one answer I didn't want to see

I've asked before, and never gotten any answer other than "dunno, try it and let's find out" or "huh, why would it matter?"

I'm just getting this thing back on the roads, so it hasn't been very high on my list of things to do, but I guess I'll keep looking for a 4cyl gauge cluster...... yippie!

I've asked before, and never gotten any answer other than "dunno, try it and let's find out" or "huh, why would it matter?"

I'm just getting this thing back on the roads, so it hasn't been very high on my list of things to do, but I guess I'll keep looking for a 4cyl gauge cluster...... yippie!

Sorry, I never saw the question. I tend to come around more when I'm working on a project.

I thought the tach was calibrated to the number of cyl, I know some aftermarket tachs have a switch for number of cyl. There's even adapter boxes.
Honestly I never tried to use a 4cyl cluster in my 6cyl. It ought to be too high by a certain number of rpm.

The rest of the cluster is the same.

What year are you working with and which engine. I'll do a quick search to try to point you in the right direction

will a 6cyl cluster read the correct RPM in a 4cyl from the same year?
I know many aftermarket tachs have separate settings for number of cyl.
Depends on the year.

91+ will. the cluster gets tach info from the ECU which reports rpm for the engine it is controlling.

What year are you working with and which engine. I'll do a quick search to try to point you in the right direction

it's a '94 2.5l 5 speed.... thought I'd need a 4cyl specific cluster--- haven't seen many around here:(

Depends on the year.

91+ will. the cluster gets tach info from the ECU which reports rpm for the engine it is controlling.

I didn't think the ECU reported to the cluster 'til the '97 and later..... this info. would make life much easier!!!!

I think Digger87XJ is right. Your 94 should be set if you already have the cluster. I only have done this swap with the 84-90 XJs where it was important.

Edit: I don't see any 94 clusters listed as coming from 4 cyl, man have the prices jumped on eBay for the 87-90 clusters!

Last edited:
IIRC the renix cluster gets it's info from the ignition module.

The 91+ ecu converts the CPS signal to a standard RPM output.

I installed a 5.9 v8 using a 95 ram ECU in my 95 xj and the tach is correct.

Back