• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Head Gasket

So are you telling me it's time to shoot it and put it out of my misery?:tears:

It did have large hard dry carbon chunks about 1/4" think in the valve cover area laying in the head recesses. . And the PO was getting 24 mpg out of it stock, so it was probably running a wee bit lean (which no doubt helped burn the head gasket). He was also running it at 220 to 230 F, no electric fan when I bought it.

But you did not give me a precise answer to my last question. I am more of Duct tape guy, if it ain't broke don't fix it, so maybe I should be asking how long it might last if I don't do the rings and bearings.

My other problem is it will be my 18 year old daughters first vehicle. :eek: I suspect she will outlast it, or in other words the Jeep may not get the chance to wear out the engine before?:bawl:

5-90 said:
RENIX doesn't need one - it's got ears you can get to with your fingers (or longnose pliers, in a pinch.) I've not needed tools to pop RENIX fuel lines.

Sounds about like the PO ran it a little faster than normal - my 1987 pretty much lived at 3200rpm and under for the 170K or so that I drove it (and I didn't lose the oil pump until 120K into my owning it. I'd probably still be driving it if I'd put new rings in, since I was there anyhow...)

Last edited:
Ecomike said:

It did have large hard dry carbon chunks about 1/4" think in the valve cover area laying in the head recesses. . And the PO was getting 24 mpg out of it stock, so it was probably running a wee bit lean (which no doubt helped burn the head gasket). He was also running it at 220 to 230 F, no electric fan when I bought it.

But you did not give me a precise answer to my last question. I am more of Duct tape guy, if it ain't broke don't fix it, so maybe I should be asking how long it might last if I don't do the rings and bearings.

My other problem is it will be my 18 year old daughters first vehicle. :eek: I suspect she will outlast it, or in other words the Jeep may not get the chance to wear out the engine before?:bawl:

I didn't give you a precise answer because there isn't one. I've seen factory new vehicles burned out in 40Kmiles, I've seen vehicles with two Million Mile Plaques - there are too many variables to consider.

If you teach her to not push the thing around like it's a ricerocket, and take it easy on the thing (that doesn't mean you can't push it - just don't take it in a direction it's not designed to go...) it will last damned near forever. If you were giving it to your eighteen-year-old son, I'd be telling you to overhaul the engine now, as it will be needing it fairly soon. Women tend to be more responsive to instruction (less involvement of the ego) and tend to be more cautious with mechanical goodies. So, it will probably last her until she gets another vehicle and gives it back to you.

No guarantees. There aren't any. I'm not going to give any. There are just too many variables.

If you feel up to it, you're halfway to a re-ring anyhow - measure the cylinder bores (I can give you an inspection sheet) and see if a rebore is indicated. Check for composition of the ridge - see if it's carbon or iron (if it's been run lean, it's likely iron. Fuel is not only what the engine runs on, it also acts - in a small way - as a top cylinder lubricant and a coolant.) If it's less than .003" (at the very outside) added to the nominal bore size of 3.875" or to a factory overbore of 3.885", you can get away with a hone and re-ring for the moment. If it's more than that, pull the block and have it punched .010" over, and use new slugs and rings.

I really can't give you a precise answer, as there just isn't one. It's unpossible. Much depends on how your daughter is going to drive the thing, and on how your technique is for the work - those are probably the two largest factors. But, there really are too many to even give you ballpark odds, I just don't know enough about that situation.

Good point, our book keeper just bought a brand new Cadillac about 8 weeks ago, and the dealership has already rebuilt the engine once! Ouch! She bought the new car because the old one was breaking down too much.:laugh3::twak:

At the rate gas prices are going up it won't drivable in a few more months anyway.:bawl:

Oh, and by the way, where did you ever get the idea that WOMEN were more responsive to instruction? :laugh3: Is that like, on full moon nights, and every fourth Thursday? :laugh3:

5-90 said:
I didn't give you a precise answer because there isn't one. I've seen factory new vehicles burned out in 40Kmiles, I've seen vehicles with two Million Mile Plaques - there are too many variables to consider.

If you teach her to not push the thing around like it's a ricerocket, and take it easy on the thing (that doesn't mean you can't push it - just don't take it in a direction it's not designed to go...) it will last damned near forever. If you were giving it to your eighteen-year-old son, I'd be telling you to overhaul the engine now, as it will be needing it fairly soon. Women tend to be more responsive to instruction (less involvement of the ego) and tend to be more cautious with mechanical goodies. So, it will probably last her until she gets another vehicle and gives it back to you.

No guarantees. There aren't any. I'm not going to give any. There are just too many variables.

If you feel up to it, you're halfway to a re-ring anyhow - measure the cylinder bores (I can give you an inspection sheet) and see if a rebore is indicated. Check for composition of the ridge - see if it's carbon or iron (if it's been run lean, it's likely iron. Fuel is not only what the engine runs on, it also acts - in a small way - as a top cylinder lubricant and a coolant.) If it's less than .003" (at the very outside) added to the nominal bore size of 3.875" or to a factory overbore of 3.885", you can get away with a hone and re-ring for the moment. If it's more than that, pull the block and have it punched .010" over, and use new slugs and rings.

I really can't give you a precise answer, as there just isn't one. It's unpossible. Much depends on how your daughter is going to drive the thing, and on how your technique is for the work - those are probably the two largest factors. But, there really are too many to even give you ballpark odds, I just don't know enough about that situation.

Last edited:
5-90,

Have to agree with EconoMike....
Women are rarely receptive to instructions from a man unless they are trying to maneuver or impress him....
IF you find a women that is intelligent, willing to listen to reason and follows instructions from a man....; she is a keeper......

From teaching five nieces how to drive, two to drive stick, and probably three hundred women in general in basic marksmanship. I have had far less trouble teaching women than men (teaching one of my two boys to drive - either one! - was more stressful than teaching all of my nieces combined.)

I've also taught probably fifty women in basic hand-to-hand, and assorted other women in mechanics, maintenance, and the like - and all have learned well. Maybe they just respond differently to you than to me? I don't know - but I've consistently had far less trouble teaching women than I have had teaching men.

And my wife does have some basic mechanical know-how (enough to save me, by now, several months of time in troubleshooting!) a logical, orderly mind, and she takes instruction very well. She also has the (very rare overall) quality that lets her reserve her questions for later, when I'm too busy at the moment to explain something. She still wants to know, but she can see that I have larger things on my mind at the moment than explaining an order, and she'll ask me about it after we've handled the crisis at hand.

And, she doesn't get bothered when something does fail rather spectacularly, and I start barking orders to all and sundry.

We complement each other well - she's a natural mid-grade officer-type, and I'm a natural non-com type. Our skillsets complement each other as well. Together I think we are truly gestalt - the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts.

(And people wonder why I married her...)

Now theres and oxymoron, LOL. But you forgot the best part, they need to be rich enough to support us in the way we would like to become accustomed!

:laugh2:

I this case, this one is my daughter, so I am stuck with her, LOL, But I got lucky in that so far, she is a keeper. But I must admit I reached my limit with the recent hair dresser bill for the senior prom, $80, GAHHHD!:cry:

I could have almost fill tank with gas for that!

CharlesS said:
5-90,

Have to agree with EconoMike....
Women are rarely receptive to instructions from a man unless they are trying to maneuver or impress him....
IF you find a women that is intelligent, willing to listen to reason and follows instructions from a man....; she is a keeper......

Ecomike said:
Now theres and oxymoron, LOL. But you forgot the best part, they need to be rich enough to support us in the way we would like to become accustomed!

:laugh2:

I this case, this one is my daughter, so I am stuck with her, LOL, But I got lucky in that so far, she is a keeper. But I must admit I reached my limit with the recent hair dresser bill for the senior prom, $80, GAHHHD!:cry:

I could have almost fill tank with gas for that!

Heh. Me mum was a hairdresser before she went back to school to become a Surgical Technician (and is in school again to finish her BS in Nursing.)

My daughter-in-law is a hairdresser. Saves my wife loads (she's a little vain. Being blonde, I have to really look for the grey - but she wants it covered. I've got plenty of salt in my beard, but it doesn't bother me.)

One son is a plumber, the other is a carpenter (finish and framing.) I've worked in maintenance in more fields and years than I'd care to count. I've also been trained as a medic, skydiver, SCUBA diver, pilot, driver of more things than I'd care to count, and Gawd only knows what else.

Short form? We very rarely have to pay to get anything done, save paying for materials. WAY cool!

Ahh, but does one of them own a few oil wells and a refinery?

Sounds like your running out of things to learn and try!

You must be a natural teacher.

Ecomike said:
Ahh, but does one of them own a few oil wells and a refinery?

Sounds like your running out of things to learn and try!

You must be a natural teacher.

Sadly, no - no money in the family.

I've been told I'm a natural teacher. I know I feel best when I'm teaching someone something new, so it's possible.

I can't think of much else I'm willing to try, either. I think I've got it all nailed so far - the good and the bad.

At least your rich in other ways.

Ecomike said:

We fired up the beast a few weeks ago, it hit 230 F in the driveway, so I ordered a radiator, replaced it which got us to 205 F, then replaced the alternator, and IAC, and put it through the local gestapos emissions tests on monday last week (with the EGR working and installed) , and it passed with huge room to spare on all the limits. It has twice the power at WOT at 50 mph, of my 255,000 mile 87 Jeep. :(

It runs like a batoutofhell now, and everything seems to be working on it now! So another renix XJ has been saved to ride another day!

CharlesS said:
5-90,

Sounds as though you definitely have a couple keepers...
Not many of us are so lucky....

My good man, if you had any idea what I've been through looking for this woman (literally all over the world!) you'd understand why I damn sure did keep her!

As far as the marriage goes - I consider it strong. Even the "until death do us part" wasn't enough - I got killed, and we're still married...

As far as money - it's not all it's cracked up to be. Money won't buy survival if everything heads right to Hell to-morrow - and I'd rather be able to live. Do you have any idea how many people asked if they could come live with me if the Y2K (or the Y2K+1) bug actually happened? I had people asking me months in advance - and some of them were doctors we were already seeing. I must have been doing something right...

(Meanwhile, I listened to the little voice in the back of my mind. Spent New Year's Eve getting happily drunk and smoking Partagas 8-9-8s - I recommend that as a good way to spend pretty much any evening...)

Back