• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a Blown Engine - Documenting with Pics / Share Advice

That sucks.I woulda needed a family sized bottle of Xanax..I've had a few large inline 6's on stands with no problems. Has this ever happened to anyone else ?

I had a SBC 355 on a stand for over a year with no issues. Held on with Grade 8 bolts.

How many wheels on the front of the engine stand?

Mine, 2. 4 total.

I had a SBC 355 on a stand for over a year with no issues. Held on with Grade 8 bolts.

I've had 4.0 I6s on stands for a long time also w/ grade 8s. Inlines are so long - think this causes the issue. I flipped this engine a million times while I was working on it, never an issue. May have been a casting issue. Who knows.

At first I though the stand tipped over... but the block just broke in that area?

Correct. The block broke (it had 4 grade 8 bolts connected to it - very solid). Luckily, I had just attached the chains so it didn't get hurt further. When the block broke, the entire engine rotated toward that side but stopped when the chains tightened.

Correct. The block broke (it had 4 grade 8 bolts connected to it - very solid). Luckily, I had just attached the chains so it didn't get hurt further. When the block broke, the entire engine rotated toward that side but stopped when the chains tightened.
That makes me feel good, having an engine on a stand, waiting for when I have a few spare days to install it.
In over 40 years of rebuilding engines, I have never heard of this happening.

Pulling the engine.. I took out the mounts all the way to get it off the transmission.
CDWt4x0s.jpg

I took of the oil pick up and flywheel while it was on the hoist.
A creeper worked great to strap it down and strip off the rest of the parts.
zb5w4x0s.jpg

Parts cleaning
HCDv4x0s.jpg

This stuff works amazing..full strength.
W0Wv4x0s.jpg

Empty bay. I used a bottle jack and 2x4 to support the trans.
gq5v4x0s.jpg

New block on the stand
vcNv4x0s.jpg

New oil pump and pickup
7Kkv4x0s.jpg

All assembled and ready to drop in. You can see the studs I put in place on the HB so I could put a prybar in there while I cranked down the flywheel bolts. That was a 2 man job. It kept it on TDC.
qjbw4x0s.jpg

R5kw4x0s.jpg

And it is finally in place and bolted to the trans with the lower bolts. Later I will do the upper housing bolts. Replacing them with a standard head ones of course.
v08r6x0s.jpg

Now the fun part, putting everything back together. I did forget to drop the lifters in so I'll do that next.

Definitely enjoying the progress and other members comments....
Replaced a few engines over the years and know that the time will come on the present Jeep.
Nice Job.....

I don't know if you did, but you should have checked oil pump pickup to oil pan clearance.

Personally I would not lift using the head bolt holes and would have you the head, intake and exhaust manifolds on before I dropped it on.

I don't know if you did, but you should have checked oil pump pickup to oil pan clearance.

I found this to be useful when installing the oil pickup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOIhaI3eEog

I got my engine back in a few days ago, good to have it done and running again.
I would like to have a long talk with the engineer who insisted on using inverted torx bolts on the top engine to trans mounting.
A lot of fun to get them out. Removing the engine mounts and then dropping the transmission crossmemeber 2" made all the difference.

Personally I would not lift using the head bolt holes and would have you the head, intake and exhaust manifolds on before I dropped it on.

No I did not do that... I hope it will be ok.

I installed w/o the head for several reason. One being so I could get to the bolts behind the head for housing. And the other is because its nearly impossible to get to the manifold to pipe for the exhaust. I'm on a 2000. I was tight in there. So I am installing the reverse of assembly.

I found this to be useful when installing the oil pickup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOIhaI3eEog

I got my engine back in a few days ago, good to have it done and running again.
I would like to have a long talk with the engineer who insisted on using inverted torx bolts on the top engine to trans mounting.
A lot of fun to get them out. Removing the engine mounts and then dropping the transmission crossmemeber 2" made all the difference.

I didn't have any problem at all removing those bolts. Once I took the head off I could easily get to them using a 12 point wrench. I used a prybar to move the wrench on one side and a block of wood and hammer to move the wrench on the other and they both came loose and out easily.

I didn't have any problem at all removing those bolts.

Now that I have done it both ways, I would rather assemble the engine on a stand and deal with the two upper bolts, now knowing how to get at them.
Installing the head, valve train, manifolds and engine brackets, with the block already installed, is more than what my back wants to be subjected to.
With the 2001's mini-cats, access to the lower manifold bolts is just about impossible after the engine is installed.

Once I took the head off I could easily get to them using a 12 point wrench.
I tried that. Didn't work. I had to go but a set of the correct sockets to remove those two stupid bolts. Then I threw them as far as I could and replaced them with real bolts.

Installing the head, valve train, manifolds and engine brackets, with the block already installed, is more than what my back wants to be subjected to..
x2. I'd rather deal with the manifolds outside of the vehicle. Even removing a head I will pull the head and manifolds as a unit just so I don't have to deal with those bolts when in the vehicle. Its also easier on my back to use a lift for that.

I tried that. Didn't work. I had to go but a set of the correct sockets to remove those two stupid bolts. Then I threw them as far as I could and replaced them with real bolts.

x2. I'd rather deal with the manifolds outside of the vehicle. Even removing a head I will pull the head and manifolds as a unit just so I don't have to deal with those bolts when in the vehicle. Its also easier on my back to use a lift for that.

Funny thing is I bought an E12 wrench and broke it trying to undo those dumb things...its only after did the 12 point one work. Maybe I loosened it with the broke wrench.

Now that I have done it both ways, I would rather assemble the engine on a stand and deal with the two upper bolts, now knowing how to get at them.
Installing the head, valve train, manifolds and engine brackets, with the block already installed, is more than what my back wants to be subjected to.
With the 2001's mini-cats, access to the lower manifold bolts is just about impossible after the engine is installed.

I have a set of homemade wheel cribs out of 2x4's. I'm been using them as a step this whole time.. they are a big help when working in there. And mine isn't even lifted yet... I can't imagine working in that bay with a 3" lift on the jeep.

What do you all think of "break in oil" ... a racing buddy suggested Valvoline VR1... thoughts?

VR1 is not a bad oil to run, but I wouldn't use it for a cam breakin. If you do I would put some kind of ZDDP cam breakin additive. However, I like oils with the stuff already in it.

Back