• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing 260 u-joints with 5-297 u-joints

I'm looking to do this conversion as well, hopefully this weekend on my 89xj. The thing is, this will be my first real in-depth mod to my car and I'm a bit nervous so instead of asking any of you to hold my hand through it(joke). I've got a few questions before I dig in.

1. Will this work on my Disco D-30?
2. I've seen some talk about ABS v. non ABS on here, just to clarify it seemed that had more to do w/ the hubs than the axles right?
3.I'm going to put in a Lockrite or Aussie while I'm doing this and I think its the same part for either set of axles right (just in case I'm not able to get the axles as soon as I think I can and have to stick w/ the same ones and just replace the 260's)

I swear I had another question but I cant think of it right now.

, You need the right axle intermediate & outer shaft assy from a YJ with ABS, 90 & later, mostly found in 95s. The ABS rigs use the bigger u-joint. It has an aluminum tone ring on the outer axle, so they are easy to identify. I've been told You can knock the ring off, but I just left it place. Early 90s YJs with ABS aren't real common, but they are out there in the bone yards. That is where I got mine. The left is very common. All later XJs & all TJ axles use the bigger joints, ABS or not, just the right axle on the disco has to be for ABS.

Last edited:
Back