• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repairing a leaky radiator

Jump This

Just another minion!
I managed to wear two very small holes on the back side of my radiator. Just from a cooling line rubbing up against the darn thing.
My question is, is there a home remedy that will work and last?
There is no local radiator shops, the closest is 60mi. from here, and they seem so darn small....
Any ideas, suggestions?
Rick

Drop an egg in there if you need to clog it temporarily. It really works, I've seen it on Mythbusters...

Black pepper! I put some in a beater of mine and it lasted at least 4000 miles. Probley more I had it for 2 years after I put the pepper in it.

Jump This said:
Thats what I am thinking...but thats awfully thin aluminium there.

:dunno:
brazing (brass rod) will not work on aluminum, silver solder is your best bet, as long as its a small hole and the core isn't rotted. Otherwise time for a new one.

Jump This said:
Thats what I am thinking...but thats awfully thin aluminium there.

:dunno:

Yah - I'd thought it was copper.

Some Tix hard solder and a small sheet of aluminum should be helpful here. I'd not try to patch a hole by "plug soldering" - use a small sheet of like material.

You can find Tix hard solder at Micro-Mark - I've used it on various projects with good results. www.micromark.com. Handy stuff to have around.

Jump This said:
I managed to wear two very small holes on the back side of my radiator. Just from a cooling line rubbing up against the darn thing.
My question is, is there a home remedy that will work and last?
There is no local radiator shops, the closest is 60mi. from here, and they seem so darn small....
Any ideas, suggestions?
Rick

How big are the holes?

Another cheap fix is to trim the fins from around the hole and crimp the core on both sides of the leak. Not a good solution but have had to do it a couple of times on M151's, both times from shrapnel.

Jump This said:
I would suspect the metal was already thinned out for a rubber line to wear thru the metal (or were these steel cooling lines?). Look at the edge of the holes, try to judge how thick they are, if they are thin and raggeded, its likely your radiator is corroding away, if you can fix these holes, (thinned out corroded metal doesn't patch well) your still going to have problems later down the line.

x2 on the new radiator, I got mine from O'reilly Auto Parts it was 139 bucks and I don't worry all the time about it being bad. What's your time, and peace of mind worth?:doh:

Yep, and they are a sinch to change......Might want to think about doing the water pump at the same time. That's something I didn't think about. Did my radiator in July, then had to do the water pump the following october. Although not bad, having the radiator out would give a few more inches of room to worrk with for the waterpump!

Good luck with whatever you chose. Just get something solid and new and forget about it for 12 years.

Back