• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix with HO head, EGR??

xjmyway

NAXJA Forum User
First off if this thread is in the wrong place, please let me know..

I'm building a stroker for my 89 and would like to use a 91-95 head (7120 I believe it is), if I'm correct the 89 has EGR, with a HO head will I be able to retain that? If not, the wonderful state of California will eat me alive...or will they? Also to retain the knock sensor, will I need to use a renix year block, I can't find any evidence that the newer blocks have the port for it?
Thanks

most of the 91-95 blocks had the hole for the knock sensor.
Later model blocks may have the boss to be drilled and tapped.
In order to keep the EGR you'd have to use the renix manifolds, or put the appropriate fittings in the HO manifolds.

Will I need the EGR valve to pass smog? If the newer head and manifold don't have a place for it, will just not having it fail smog, or is it a visual fail thing if they catch it?

You'll fail smog without it - that's something that the Air Nazis look for.

I think it's probably going to be easier to adapt the RENIX intake and exhaust to the #7120 head, but I don't have the head around here to tell you how to do it (although I do have a couple spare RENIX intakes, and a spare RENIX header...)

5-90

Fail visual or fail the pipe? Because if it's the visual I've got a remedy for that. :) How'z about the flow of the renix intake. If I bore the t-body will it flow as well as an HO. So I take it the renix system(Computer) not the motor itself needs the EGR?

Fail visual. I had the EGR "fail" on my 87, and it ran cleaner!

Of course, part of the "visual" is to actuate the EGR manually while the engine is idling - they're looking for the engine to stall out. Sometimes they'll stall it fully, sometimes they'll see that it starts to stall, and let off the EGR (to make sure it comes back. Cheeky bastards...)

Just mounting the EGR into a "blank" on the manifold won't do it. I just wish they'd let me do away with the thing, I'm tired of carbon crapping up my intake!

5-90

If your only worried about failing a visual, why not put in a "dummy" EGR. If is still passes the sniffer test you have a clean running engine and nothing to worry about.

for te reasons that 5-90 mentioned, they check to make sure the system is actually working and connected.
Can you get some sort of exemption? I know that with older cars you can usually get an exemption and it will have to pass the standards for the documented model year the motor came out of. That may only be for cars older tan 25 years though, that's how it works in OH in the counties with E-check.

in CT we have no issues with that stuff, my stroker passed w/ flying colors

as far as the knock sensor, all the blocks have the hole drilled and tapped

I put in a 1995 motor in my 1990 XJ. Block does have the port for the knock sensor.

Problems with the install...There were a few but nothing major.

The down pipe for the HO exhaust is needed. Or have an exhaust shop make a new one like I did. Cost me about $50 for that and the welding to tie it in to the old exhaust system.

Some bracket issues with mounting up the accessories. Had to use 90 brackets but can't remember which ones. Since I had a full 95 motor with all accessories, this wasn't a problem to mix and match them as needed.

Oil sending unit and 90 distributor needed to be used.

End result
1995 motor
1990 intake
1990 accessories with a 1988 alternator (Supposed to be 100amp instead of 90 amp...who knows)
1995 exhaust manifold with exhaust shop down pipe made and bung for O2 EGR blocked off.
Open cooling system from 1995 doner vehicle

Future plans to build a stroker with HO 1999 intake using the 1990 block I have on the stand. 7120 head on the 90 block of course :D

Back