• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX to HO Overheating problem

I had checked everything before and determined it was running leaning, that is the reason I put new sensors. I will try the plugs next how do you determine ranges on them. You mentioned colder plugs.

Different manufactures number their plugs differently. The only sure way is to measure from the base of the threads to the top of the "L" electrode. You can also eyeball them if you hold the plugs up side by side. The colder plugs don't go into the combustion chamber as far as normal plugs. Not a lot of difference, but noticeable.

I used spray oil in my TB to find my exhaust manifold leak. Don't overdo it.

Champion numbers their plugs, the lower the number the colder the plug, not all manufactures do it this way, some are just the opposite and the higher the number the colder the plug.

A stock Champion may be a RC 12LYC, at one time I was running RC 9YC, but I wouldn't recommend these (I was using them on the autobahn and running speeds daily, you'll likely never see in an XJ). If you do a lot of slow speed driving, colder pöugs may carbon foul on you. You'll have to check out availability and start out with one step colder and see if it helps any. It will likely turn out to be a compromise anyway, something that works better during lean episodes and one that works for crawling and doesn't turn black and sooty.

Last edited:
Back