• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix randomly dies while driving = can a broken clock spring cause this ?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My MJ recently started randomly diving while driving.

can a bad clock spring on a renix cause it to do this?

the last time it died ,just randomly, I disconnected the TPS. It started right up. Not sure if this was coincidental or not though.

Has new plugs, ford injectors, 02 sensor, TPS, CPS. good fuel pressure, bigger grounds, clean grounds, jumped TPS ground, cleaned c101, etc.

I am thinking about trying another TPS and CPS out to see , but it can sometimes go weeks without dying . Weird.

I am going to clean every connection and clean the relays, among other things.

I am also going to look for frayed or exposed wires.

I don't really want to dig into the clock spring, but I guess if it can cause this, ill do it...

Hey buddy;

this probably wont be a lot of help to you, i just wanted to let you know i had the same problem and from what i read people mentioned that the best thing to do is change the cps.

But in my opinion i dont see how the clock spring can cause the motor to shut down.

Good luck :)

yes there's a clock spring in the GM column. Anything with a button that turns with the wheel has one. No, it can't stop a renix jeep from running.
Toss the late model communications system right out of your head, renix jeeps are very simple electrically. No serial communcations, nothing.

So you replaced the TPS, did you properly adjust it?
Have you checked the hose to the MAP sensor? They crack and do weird things.
Check the CPS wiring and the O2 sensor wiring, make sure they're not touching anything and shorting out while driving. O2 sensor especially.

common failure points for renix era wiring:
The firewall bulkhead connector. the top two orange/pink wires carry nearly all of the electrical load, they get burnt, then they fail intermittently. like hitting a bump.
The back of the fuseblock. is it manual? Has the master ever leaked? It covers the fuseblock and then it starts to fall apart after the fluid attacks the plastic.
ignition switches. They melt, then cause random issues.
under the coolant bottle there is a factory crimp in the harness. it's covered in duct tape. Check it, it runs the fuel pump.
grounds in the rear for the fuel pump. It's in the drivers tail light.
There's also a connector behind the drivers seat for the fuelpump/sender/taillights. Check that. it's caused me issues. it's not well protected and can get broken by stuff behind the seat.

ignition modules. it's rare, they're sturdy and AMC didn't mount them where block heat will kill them, but it's something that will cause intermittent issues if the housing is cracked.

when it quits you need to determine if the ECU is telling the ignition module to fire. if it is you don't have a CPS issue.

yeah I've been properly adjusting renix TPS for years. I actually have to replace the TPS at least 2X a year in my other renix, it has hood vents..

ill double check CPS wiring. CPS is brand new.

I think the o2 sensor wiring is all screwed up. Ill check that out.

all of the common wiring failure points have not yet been checked, so I will look into all of those this weekend to try to figure it out.

Back