• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix or HO head gasket for renix head on HO block?

No time to order the gasket. I Need to get this on asap to make the con next weekend. Just gonna slap on a feelpro from napa. I'm going to do whatever i can to get these dowels out before i drill into my head. I may have to cover my block/intak and grind down the dowels so i can turn them w/ a wrench. I'm sure there pressed in though so who knows if that'll work. :flamemad:

on the bright side my cylinder walls look great w/ no scoring.

I've seen "dowel puller" tools - essentially a slide hammer with a collet chuck.

If you can get one, that's the way to go - measure the dowel so you know what size chuck you need.

I have had some luck using a drill motor, if I can get the chuck on the dowel securely. Use a high-torque motor (1/2" chuck or later, I'm sure,) and you can usually break the thing loose and back it out. Doesn't matter which way you spin it.

Sometimes, when trying that, I end up building a little clay "fence" around the stud (leave room to get the chuck jaws or collet in,) and use a penetrating agent - equal parts acetone, Type F auto tranny fluid (use Dexron if you can't find Type F) and air-tool oil. It sometimes helps to use a punch or drift to tap the dowel sideways in the bore once you get penetrator around it - that helps it work down between the parts.

The dowel may also be drilled & tapped and pulled with a screw - use a coarse thread, and know that it can sometimes back out with just the tap.

Back