• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Love Hate relationship

It did fry the computers, after I dug it out from its easily accessable mounting location I opened the box and you could smell it for miles. I took a look at it and there was a very distinct burn by the heat sink. So at least I had a good feeling that it was toast.

When my EGR solenoid went out, I had the same low end problems, but only when the engine was hot (EGR only works when the engine is up to temp). If you unplugged the vaccuum line to the EGR, the thing ran fine.

I replaced the solenoid (dealer only item) and had the same problem. The dealer part was defective - replaced it with another one, and problem solved.

ive said this to a million people... but here goes again... the ground wire on the firewalll by the MAP sensor... I had the exact same symptoms thats what it was... check that ground... i think the C101 connector was eliminated on the 89s... also someone said on ehre that when that ground was acting up that running a ground wire direct to the ecm fixed that problem renix wiring is prone to corossian and the grounds suck

wilcharl said:
ive said this to a million people... but here goes again... the ground wire on the firewalll by the MAP sensor... I had the exact same symptoms thats what it was... check that ground... i think the C101 connector was eliminated on the 89s... also someone said on ehre that when that ground was acting up that running a ground wire direct to the ecm fixed that problem renix wiring is prone to corossian and the grounds suck

I think I've mentioned that as well - there's a reason that ground is called the "RENIX Killer."

The C101 must have been eliminated mid-year 1989 - because both of the 89's I've got have one. One of the things I'd like to redesign about engine bay wiring is to organise it logically by subharness, and the kill the C101 in favour of either CPC (Circular Plastic Connectors) or genuine Amphenols - then, I wouldn't have to pack the thing with crud to seal it. Amphenols and CPC's can be sunk underwater and left there with no ill effects.

5-90

FYI some of the 89s had the C101 and some didn't. Just did a complete 4.0, AW4, 4WD swap into a 90MJ. We had one 89 Donor and one 89 that we used for reference. The reference jeep didn't have a C101 even though there were both 89s.

5-90 said:
Then it was a mid-year change. You don't happen to have written down the manufacture dates on those two, did you? Just wondering...

5-90

No but I can check for you this weekend and PM them to you. We just got the swap done on saturday...fired right up! :D the donor is still there and I can call my bud with the other 89.

Back